water dripping from ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

djw

Reaction score
multiple water spots have recently appeared in my ceiling with 2 now dripping. the room above is a bathroom. the leak appears in a section between a shower, a tub and a toliet, oh and the hot water radiator pipes run in the same location. No leak is consistent with any activity - showers, flushing, tub use. I've panel access to the shower's water pipes, all dry. I've cauked suspected areas in and around the shower to no avail. The leak is getting worse - any ideas on how to locate the leak without tearing into the celiing? thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the leak is continuous, that is it does not start and stop, as it would if related to some fixture or device, you need to open the ceiling right away, because a contunous leak in the ceiling can cause a water build-up which can bring down an entire ceiling. It is not pretty when this happens.

InspectorGadget

Reaction score
Is there any chance that the water is coming down an exterior wall form outdoors? Do the drops appear when it rains outside? Can you stop using the water in that room for a couple of days to see if the water goes away?

If you answer no to all of those, it's time to open the ceiling up and find out what is going on. Yes, drywall/plaster repair stinks but it's much better than repairing structural damage to floor joists in a year or so. You must find the source of the water. Start at the roof and go down from there.

Is the plumbing in you house copper or galvanized steel? I have had numerous problems with slow leaks from rusty galvanized connections. If your house is more than 35 years old, you may still have some galvanized plumbing hidden in the walls or ceiling.

Steve

Kevin @ ProSpex

Reaction score
Water stains and active dripping at the ceiling

If the condition is intermittent, it's a pretty good indication that the source is not from potable water supply or distribution piping or space heating system piping. It would then be more likely to be from the DWV (drain, waste, and venting) system, seals around fixture trim components, tub/shower enclosures or pans, or toilets. The suggestions regarding piping materials and possible exterior souces are also good.

Once the volume of water is sufficient to actually drip into the area below, you're probably going to need to remove the wetted portions of the ceiling material (regardless of the source of the water) to reduce the potential for the growth of mold and other bio-organic matter and to restore the integrity of the ceiling. In removing the affected portions of the ceiling, you will also significantly improve your chances of determining the source of the water leak.

Let us know what you finally determine. Thanks

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks