Geothermal System

Users who are viewing this thread

luigi1036

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into a geothermal system on a .33 acre lot. I just spoke to a contractor pushing a DX system. He said it was approx. 25% more to install than the Waterfurnace, but it is also 25% more efficient? Anyone familiar with Earthlinked DX system? Opinions?

geno54

Reaction score
Upside is they may be 25% more efficient, downside is if you have a problem in the "field" you will have to rip it out and that can be expensive. Soil conditions have to be right as they may affect the copper and cause pitting and leaking. Does the contractor have a list of satisfied customers? Trained service techs for these systems is very important.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would be very expensive to use copper for this; they almost always use some sort of platic tubing.

geno54

Reaction score
It would be very expensive to use copper for this; they almost always use some sort of platic tubing.

A straight DX system would use a copper loop with refrigerant, laid out in a field, verses a slinky or vertical system using plastic tubing and an antifreeze solution.
I was tasked to rip out a DX loop of 1/4" copper tubing once in a 30 X 30 field because the copper developed a leak and then install new. If the soil conditions are OK then they will work, though not too many in my area - LI,NY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks