ADD and plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

enriquehobart

Plumber
Reaction score
I am diagnosed as having Attention Deficit Disorder and it is starting to make the air thick between me and foreman. That air has always been thick between myself and employers.

I do not have the money to get a tutor and am not interested in taking any meds.

Have any of you experienced this and did you find a way to get past it?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are psycologists and psychiatrists who specialize in adult ADD. If you have a problem, you should find a way to seek treatment. It doesn't just go away.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The expert on this is

http://www.amenclinics.com/ac/

I saw an interesting program on PBS with Daniel G. Amen, MD giving a lecture.
He mentioned that changing your diet may help, depending on the type of ADD you have,
I think he said there were about 7 or 8 types.
Looks like you will need to get his book.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well everybody is good at doing some things, but not good at doing other things. Just keep that in mind.

I have a friend who I sometimes work with and he has ADHD (Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder). My friend is a very good worker so far as physical labor things go. Tons of energy! He excels in this area. But so far as doing construction work, designing something, then building or installing something, he tends to not think ahead. Does not see problems which might occur later in the building/installing process.

For example pouring a concrete pad outside the back door of a house. This should slope away from the house. My friend will not think ahead to slope the forms for the pad away from the house. And if he did this by himself, he might make the forms level - not thinking about rain and the need to slope it away from the house. Not thinking ahead. He might even slope it toward the house!

I am good at "thinking ahead", however I am older and not so good at the physical labor thing. So we work well together. I do the thinking ahead part and he helps with the physical labor part.

I do need to "argue" with him sometimes as to the way things need to be done. I need to explain why we need to take more time to do something in advance to prevent problems from occuring later on in the building process. As I said, he has a hard time thinking ahead. Because of this, he has had trouble staying employed.

Anyway a good boss will match people's skills with the work to be done. If I were you, I would try to figure out what things you are good at doing. Maybe ask your foreman what things he thinks you are good at. Maybe ask past employers. Then discuss this with current or future employers. Maybe see if you can do mostly the things you are good at doing and less of the things you are not good at doing.

Also might want to ask your foreman if there is something you can do to improve. Maybe this will be something you can work on improving. Maybe it will be something which you can't do. If it is something you can't do, just realize is is something you are not good at.

Talking is a good thing. Some bosses are good at talking about these things and working out a solution. Some are not. Some bosses will be more patient with employees, others will not.

I hope things work out better for you in the future...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks