(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: AFCI Circuit trips when I turn on lights

Hybrid View

Unhappy AFCI Circuit trips when I turn on lights

has about 4 plugs and 4 lights/switches on it - all 110v/60cycles, on a 20 amp AFCI breaker: 4 wall outlets (2 in master BR), (1) GFCI outlet, (2) motion detectors (Incandescent), with bathroom bulbs over the sink on one and an overhead light on the other, a bath fan and an outdoor spot fixture w/2 bulbs...
    Is there too much going on/conflicts? Advice please... Thx!

P.S: I didn't install this circuit!

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Don't rule out the possibility that you're actually generating an arc when you turn on the lights, and the AFCI is doing its job. Could be a bad switch, bulb socket, wiring, etc.

i would go with sloppy wiring, and a bad neutral to ground connection. Remove the ground and neutral in the panel and check for continuity.

Default Afci

Not sure about an AFCI, but a GFCI will trip if one of the devices is connected to a neutral wire for a different circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Not sure about an AFCI, but a GFCI will trip if one of the devices is connected to a neutral wire for a different circuit.

Same thing. Cant mixmatch neutrals from different circuits, I guarantee if the OP takes the light fixture down he will find a pinched neutral.

Another question, do AFCI's have to be used for lighting cicuits in bedrooms or just mandatory for outlets?

Thanks,

Mark

Unhappy Please Do not Pee Here

On each other over my question... I thank ALL of you for your advice, whether or not you agree with each other Let's all play nice

The list of codes being followed is just a starting point. What matters is the local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) interpretation of the codes. For example, one city near me says no AFCI protection on paddle fans or smoke detectors.
    When I work in other AHJs, I have a check list that I go over with the inspector. This saves thousands of dollars.