New Garage Door Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my old door. A local company uses the doors manufactured by Windsor Republic Doors. Any comments/considerations to be aware of before installation are appreciated. Quote is $800.00 (with windows) $600.00 without.

Mike50

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I went with a nationally available brand, for better or worse - bought it at HD. INjected foam filled metal panels, high R-factor, lifetime warranty. Materials cost was around $500 for the size I needed, installation was easy; not sure what their installed price was. If you don't have an HD credit card, you can get 10% off your first purchase and take a year to pay for it without interest (but make sure you DO pay it off before, as the interest is acruing, and forgiven ONLY if paid before the promotion is over). Clopay.

The HD version of this door is 2" thick and has a higher R factor than the pro version, which is 1-3/8" thick. They use different spring systems, the HD version is easier and safer for a DIY'er to install.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I went with a nationally available brand, for better or worse - bought it at HD. INjected foam filled metal panels, high R-factor, lifetime warranty. Materials cost was around $500 for the size I needed, installation was easy; not sure what their installed price was. If you don't have an HD credit card, you can get 10% off your first purchase and take a year to pay for it without interest (but make sure you DO pay it off before, as the interest is acruing, and forgiven ONLY if paid before the promotion is over). Clopay.

The HD version of this door is 2" thick and has a higher R factor than the pro version, which is 1-3/8" thick. They use different spring systems, the HD version is easier and safer for a DIY'er to install.

Thanks. I need to decide if I need/want the insulation up here in the high desert. Soundproofing is a non issue. The 600.00 price was installed with all new hardware. It's a roll down and the cables have seen better days. Anything will be an improvement as mine is an old substandard fiberglass door and it has a crack as well.

Bottom weather stripping is important as this time of year it's not uncommon for Rattlers to enter the garage seeking shade. I had an encounter with a "Mojave Green" last year. Not good. heh.

Mike

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A metal door with injected foam (rather than glued on pieces) is much less prone to dents, but if you do get one, it is harder to repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks