wiring a three way switch....

Users who are viewing this thread

rtstephn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a home, and made the leap to wire it myself. So far, so good. Didn't have problems wiht rough-in or service release. But I am getting ready for my final electrical, and I just can't get a three way light to function properly! I have successfully wired several other three ways in the house, but this one is a bit different. Can this be done?:

I have two outside lights. I have brought power into one switch. Here is the order:
Light--(powered) switch--switch--light.

Basically what I did was I wired the two switches together with 14-3, then I ran 14-2 from the two switches to each light. Is there a way to wire this and make it work? Which conductors should I tie in the 14-2 heading to the light fixtures?

Thanks much!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pick one of the diagrams that fit yuor needs from the link above that show one light fixture. Then run 14-2 from the first fixture to the other.

People have tried to cobble together other ways to save a wire and it either doesn't work or is not to code.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

The black hot goes to the common on first switch. The two travelers go between the two switches, and then the common of the second switch to BOTH lights. The third wire, the white, is the neutral and goes to the lights, not the switches.

rtstephn

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,

So then, just to make sure I got this, I need the black power going to common screw on first switch, then run the two travelors (red/black) straight to second switch. I run the black conductor running to both lights on the second switches common screw.

What do I do wiht the white wire coming from the first switch to the second switch? I know in "normal" three way lighting I would tape the white wire black to show it can be live on the second switch. Do I do the same in this scenario as well?

Thanks again,

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the light is to be connected to the second switch, then the white wire of the 14-3 going between the switches is the neutral that is connected to the 14-2 going from the second switch to the first light, and from the first light to the second light. See picture at bottom of the page at the link. http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/swit...iring-power-source-fixture-feed-different.php

If the light is to be connected to the first switch, then the white wire and the red wire are the two wires that connect the switched points of both switches and the black wire returns the power to the first switch box, from which it is connected to the light. See figure at bottom of the page at the link. http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/3-way/3-way-wiring-power-fixture-same-switch.php

The second light is connected to the first light.

rtstephn

Reaction score
If the light is to be connected to the second switch, then the white wire of the 14-3 going between the switches is the neutral that is connected to the 14-2 going from the second switch to the first light, and from the first light to the second light. See picture at bottom of the page at the link. http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/swit...iring-power-source-fixture-feed-different.php

If the light is to be connected to the first switch, then the white wire and the red wire are the two wires that connect the switched points of both switches and the black wire returns the power to the first switch box, from which it is connected to the light. See figure at bottom of the page at the link. http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/3-way/3-way-wiring-power-fixture-same-switch.php

The second light is connected to the first light.

Yep, that did it....many thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks