One-way mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi -

One slightly different aspect of my current bathroom reno is my plan/hope to "stealth" an LCD tv behind a (1-way) mirror. The idea is, when there is no backlight (i.e. the TV is off), the mirror would be just another mirror. However, when the TV is on, the image would show through the glass.

Anyone have experience with the various types of glass that could be used for this? The local vendors here in Vancouver seem all over the place in opinion, and knowledge.

I am currently considering "60% dark mirror glass", which based on my impromptu test of holding my cell phone up behind it, seems to show through reasonably well.

Really would like a "glass expert's" opinion on this, if there is one floating around these forums.

(Also, suggestions on mounting all of this - right now, I figure I'd get an oversized VESA wall-mount, then try to add extra bolts around the edge of the (TV) mounting plate, and connect the mirror to the mount, which of course is also supporting the TV. I definitely don't thing somehow attaching the mirror to the TV bezel would be a good idea...).

Thnx.!

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
As I understand it, the terminology "1-way" and "2-way" (mirrors) are synonymous.

I imagine the "confusion" came from "mirror" vs. "2-way" glass (mirrors are generally considered 1-way, glass, 2-way).

I already tested the 60% dark mirror glass, was wondering if a different darkness or glass blend might be better...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mirror

The silvering is the important part. Any 2 way mirror will appear normal as long as the room is brighter than the area behind it. Once the area behind it is illuminated the degree of clarity will depend on how much light the mirroring allows to pass through it.

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly - I will have the TV mounted as tightly as possible against the back of the mirror, then the assembly itself will be back against the wall. I think that should limit the amount of light from the rear.

That being said, your comments make me wonder if perhaps I should go with a less dark glass, to improve picture brightness...?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Increasing the brightness will decrease the life of the backlighting in a display as well as increase heat. It's worse with a plasma than an lcd, though...an lcd display runs fairly cool. You may void the warranty if there isn't sufficient space and air flow to maintain its normal environmental conditions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mirror

The darkness is to limit the amount of ambient light that passes through the mirror to illuminate the backside. In your case the lightest possible will work because there will be no space behind it to get illuminated, or at least nothing there to become a distraction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks