Must this tub faucet be changed out too...

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
I am doing a water main replacement,and all fixtures in this house.( tub,toilet supply,bathroom and kitchen sinks, hot water heater, and also stubbing out for hose bibs for a washer/dryer at later date.) A plumber told me i will need to change out the shower valve to a single handle type that has a non scalding balance valve.
The shower valve in there now is a price pfister 3 handle type. (hot,diverter valve,cold) I have had plumbers re pipe/water main replacements before ,and was never made aware that single handle tub valves are needed?
I want to get the right tub valve/is this a code thing or a plumber preference?
If code why are 3 handle valves still on the market? If code, this would apply for the state of Florida. Thanks to all replys!!

pp_tub_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rombo

Reaction score
it is code. there are ways to install 3 handle but are complicated than installing a single lever

DIY

Reaction score
must this be changed to...

Thanks for the reply rombo. How long has it been code? And need this valve be changed out only under the scope of projects this size or bigger. Hey can 3 handle type tub valves be changed to a scald guard type!? Thanks all again!

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
this has been code at least since 2000, I don't remember exactly. there are 3 handle valves with the scald guard or, there are balancing valves that could be added to an existing 2 or 3 handle valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, you have to insert the safety controls in. It can get pretty convoluted. Usually cheaper to just update the valve and trim. Depends on what access you have and how much room you have. Because there isn't as much demand, the costs are probably higher for parts, and reworking the piping can be significant. Personally, I like a thermostatically controlled valve - the two handles control volume on one and temperature on the other. A third could be a divertor.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get a stand alone pressure balanced module, which you would install bewteen the valve and the shower head. Not real practical, because it would have to be installed with an access door somehow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If you had to keep the three holes for some reason, there are three valve antiscald valves made. One handle is temperature, the other one is volume, and the middle one is the diverter. They do not look or operate like your 3 way valve but will fill the three holes so that a new tile job is not needed.

DIY

Reaction score
must this be changed to...

Today i got another estimate for replaceing the main and tapping into the fixtures with hot /cold water lines. This plumber told me it was not neccesary to change out the 3 handle tub valve to a 1 handle with scald guard. I asked the plumber if i could supply some or all of the parts,and do some of the labor (digging,necessary notching for piping etc.) he said he could do that as long as he makes all the connections and ok's the routing of pipes and types of piping used.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each municipality has its rules as to what level of modification dictates updating the system to the latest codes. If you are going to get a permit, then the inspector will have to follow the regulations and will enforce them. From a practical viewpoint, if the house does not have the latest safety features, it can become a big liability when you get the house inspected prior to a sale. You may need to update things, or face a lost sale, and in the meantime, lose the protection afforded to the anti-scald features available on all shower valves sold here meant for new construction.

It depends on the extent of the remodel when upgrading is required, but it is prudent to do it when practical.

The old style stuff is still available because it still sells...the big box stores are not required to only carry stuff that will meet current codes - the carry what they can sell. I think you are making a big mistake by not upgrading now while you are tearing things apart, and if ever inspected, you'll run into problems with the inspector.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The extent of work that you are pertorming detemines the amount of code updates that you would be required to perform. Pulling a permit for a job does not necessarily mean that you have to bring the whole structure into compliance. However, the more work you are performing the more will be required to be updated. Check with your local building officials for clarification on what work requires what levels of code updates. It sounds like the first plumber may have been planning on doing more work that would have required more code updates while the second plumber may have been bidding on a downscaled job that did not have as many code updates required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks