Line broken in well, repairable, WORTH IT?

Users who are viewing this thread

ktmccrary

Reaction score
I am completely ignorant of how this works, so I will give you all the facts I have accumulated. I bought a house 2 years ago with well on premises, but not primary source of water (thank goodness). Well pump was on regular light switch and has inadvertently been turned on numerous times, sometimes for hours. No dought the pump is likely fried. It has a 1/2 hp GE jetpump motor in the basement with an AO Smith aqua air tank (approx 20 gallon). The pump is a Myers Ejecto Pump MJ50D. There is a 1" port and a 1-1/4" port on the pump. The well is only about 18-20 feet from the pump. Upon inspection of the well it is constructed of 24" road tile and I measured 29 feet from the ground to the top of the water. The water is only 4 feet deep. There is a break (completely in 2 and visible) in the 1-1/4" line about 5 feet down from the ground. I don't know which line is which or even what they are called. In hydraulics the small line would be the pressure line and the large a return line, but I see no need for a return so I don't know if one is strictly for priming, if so, which it is.

With only 4 feet of water is it worth it for me to climb in there and repair the line and replace the pump if necessary, so should there be considerably more water in there? I am in the piedment area in south/middle North Carolina. Can someone please tell me which line is which and make a recommendation as to what to do. We are in a drought stricken area with watering restrictions and my garden is dying so I desperately need the water.

Thanks for your help.

ktmccrary

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Deep well jet pumps have two pipes in the well. The 1" is supplying water down to the jet, the 1 1/4" line is the suction for the pump. Both have to be connected to work.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You don't need to climb into the well, just pull the pipes and Jet out and make the necessary repairs. It can't be that heavy.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks