How do they add a tap on a gas line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A friend has an order in with the local natural gas company to run gas from the line at the road to his house (no gas there now - uses oil to heat). He asked, and I didn't know, how they make the connection and the tap. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't turn the gas off for the whole road as that would mean visting potentially hundreds of houses to ensure pilots, etc. were working once it was turned on again not counting the inconvenience to all of those existing customers.

When they install the gas lines in the first place, do they put a T in and cap it where they think there might eventually need to be service? Or, are they able to add one as needed? If so, how?

Curious minds want to know!

CharlieM

Reaction score
Jim, I'm amazed you ran into a stumper.

I don't know the answer either, so guess we'll wait to see who shows up.

Charlie

Steveyent

Reaction score
I know that they generally don't leave a T anywhere for future consideration unless there already is an applicant for gas at time of installation. They do however have a saddle, similar to what I've seen installed on some water mains that create a seal, and then pierce the line. Depends on what the line is constructed of. Not exactly my expertise, but I do work in underground utility construction, mostly in new pipeline crossing installments
steve

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
They do it using a technique called "hot tapping". The equipment involved varies by piping material but basically you attach new fitting and valve, attach the hot tapping machine (think drill) to the valve, perform the tap, close the valve, and remove hot tapping machine. The bit is made to retain the plug, called a coupon, you just drilled out. I'm sure there are otherways but that's the one I'm familiar with.

-Sam

Steveyent

Reaction score
Thanks Sam
that explains it a little better that I could. I've seen it, but never done it and you are right, small plastic mains are a pretty quick exercise, but I'm not sure exactly what they do on old steel mains
steve

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I had seen a similar thing for a water line (don't remember the name now), but wasn't sure if it would apply to gas.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Sam
I'm not sure exactly what they do on old steel mains
steve

Use a bigger drill :D Check out the Furmanite website; they'll pretty much punch a hole in any pipe, anywhere.

image_HTman.jpg

Last edited:

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Thanks Sam
that explains it a little better that I could. I've seen it, but never done it and you are right, small plastic mains are a pretty quick exercise, but I'm not sure exactly what they do on old steel mains
steve

When they moved my gas meter (and did some other work in the area) they welded the new valves on with an arc welder and then did the drill threw the valve. This is probably 30 to 40 year old steel pipe under the street. And yes they welded with the gas still on the the street.:eek:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Gas can't burn or explode if there's no oxygen...just don't try this yourself!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

I was working on a two building apartment complex years ago. The gas line between the two buildings had rusted out, so after a lot of discussion convincing the gas company that they COULD install a second meter at the affected building they came out on a Sunday and proceed to make the connection. In the process of connecting the new line, however the mechanic shut off the supply to the working meter. His foreman asked him, "Do you know what you just did?" When the guy said, "No," the foreman told him that he had just turned off all the stoves in the building, and that the plumber, ME, now had to pressure test the entire building before they could restore gas to the meter. They got one of the most creative gas tests I have ever done, but as long as they were satisfied that was all that counted. A hardnosed supervisor might have required a city permit and inspection before restoring service even though it was their fault and everything was working perfectly before that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks