CPCV Supply And Lamp Heat

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
Is there a practical guide or code that recommends/states how close CPCV can be placed to recessed lighting? This is in an overhead installation and the lamps will be IC.

Again, thank you.

Gary

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Check with the pipe manufacturer, or the plastic pipe institute ( plasticpipe.org). I dont know the spec, but would be very leery of putting plastic near a lamp. Naturally, the pipe is rated for domestic hot water ( 140º max) and is OK for use in a hot attic, where the air temp may approach that number. But I would be very careful about what could be much greater heat from that lamp.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
CPVC has a maximum service temperature of 200F. The working pressure must be derated as temperature rises:

http://www.harvel.com/piping-cpvc-derating.asp

Its melting point is around 212C (Web searches will turn up numbers from 175F and up). I was surprised to see the variation and lack of definitive information.

I'd lay a piece of pipe up against the can light for a while and see what happens.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
Thanx Guys!

This is a condo remodel with a fire rated ceiling and has two tiers. Water supply (1/2" CPCV) is routed through the ceiling(s).

I have found a fire rated sheet metal box to put the lamp into (to preserve fire integrity). I thought that there may have been a code requirement or thumb of rule for proximity.

Mikey

Reaction score
I'd be sure to see exactly what they mean by "fire rated". Paper, for example, famously autoignites at 451F, above the melting point of CPVC; the box might get hot enough to melt the CPVC, but not start a fire.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
I'd be sure to see exactly what they mean by "fire rated". Paper, for example, famously autoignites at 451F, above the melting point of CPVC; the box might get hot enough to melt the CPVC, but not start a fire.

That is what I am afraid of. The surround box guarantees no fire break through for one hour. What concerns me is the proximity of the light housing causing breakdown of the CPCV and subsequent flooding.

Here is the enclosure(s)- http://www.ezbarrier.net/content/view/12/26/

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Normally non-IC recessed lighting should be kept atleast 3" away from any combustible material. But since you are using an IC rated box, I don't see why you should have any problems if you put a nice barrier of insulation between the IC box and the tubing; that's assuming you would have a gap of atleast 6" between the tubing and IC box. But that's just my opinion as the same practice is done whenever plastic wiring or tubing is ran close to furnace ducting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cpvc

I would err on the cautious side and not put it near the light, regardless of any minimum dimension. A change in conditions of any kind, such as the pipe being drained while the light is on and you could be looking at a damage liability claim.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
Normally non-IC recessed lighting should be kept atleast 3" away from any combustible material. But since you are using an IC rated box, I don't see why you should have any problems if you put a nice barrier of insulation between the IC box and the tubing; that's assuming you would have a gap of atleast 6" between the tubing and IC box. But that's just my opinion as the same practice is done whenever plastic wiring or tubing is ran close to furnace ducting.

The IC lamp will actually be placed in a sheet metal box (see referring URL above for details) and will not be in open air. I have to re-measure but I believe final installation will be at least six inches and there will be insulation placed between this box and the tubes.

This ceiling has trusses to hold the upstairs floor and fire rated sheet rock is attached to galv. steel channels to make the lower ceiling. As I understand, IC rated lamps call for a lower wattage bulb and will shut itself off if a pre-determined temperature is reached.

Let me see how far I can mount the lamp(s) from one truss and I will get back. Would I be better off asking this in the electrical forum or are most of you guys well versed in both (which I would imagine will be the case)?

Again, thank you.

Gary

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are good electricians here. I am anxious to here if the electric code has any specs about where you can put a fixture with respect to a pipe. The standard off the cuff reply would be that tradesmen "have no respect" for the other guys stuff! Plumbers, electricians, and HVAC installers always compete for real estate on new contstruction!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The "standard" separation is usually 1", but that does not take into consideration any special requirements for a specific pipe type. Any specific requirements are the responsibility of the installing mechanic. Electricians know wires, not water pipes.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
I think I have found my answer. The TENMAT protection cover.

It simply covers the can. That and a respectable distance/insulation should do it I would think. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Fire Rated Cover- TENMAT.jpg
    Fire Rated Cover- TENMAT.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 340

Mikey

Reaction score
I think anything that would provide separation of the light fixture and pipe would be sufficient. The TENMAT cover would do that, and additionally seals up the ceiling penetration in the event of a fire above. Should do the trick. I'll duct-tape a thermometer and a piece of CPVC to one of my IC/AT can lights this weekend and let you know what happens.

Mikey

Reaction score
The envelope, please...

Halo 6" IT/AC can with a 65W flood at full brightness for two hours, attic ambient temperature 121F, can packed in rock wool insulation. Can temperature measured at top of cylindrical portion with a lab thermometer stuffed between the can and the insulation: 152F. I laid a short piece of CPVC on top of the can and held it down with a 1lb lead weight. Both the CPV and the lead were warm (duh!). CPVC could be hand held, no sign of any melting, distortion, etc.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
That is appreciated. I think with the proper distance and placing of insulation, there should be little damaging heat build up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks