(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: DWV systems...a good place to start

Default DWV systems...a good place to start

I am a first year apprentice as far as union is concerned and have been in the trade (3 years by December). I want to learn about my trade with a system by system approach.

Right now I am working on learning DWV and want to get ideas on what I will need to know about this system to pass the journeyman exam when it is time.

I have a few books and a few articles from internet.

Since I exhibit ADD behaviors and habits; I am jumping all over the place and find myself desiring some sort of blueprint as in:

What would the basic, intermediate, and advanced levels of knowledge include?

Book and article recommends welcome.

Two of the best investments would be the 2006 UPC code book and the accompanying handbook. These are not cheap, but are valuable. Get them from IAPMO.com or a local technical bookstore. If you are under a different code book you should look for that also.

www.wabo.org
    Last edited by Terry; 07-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enriquehobart View Post
    I am a first year apprentice as far as union is concerned and have been in the trade (3 years by December). I want to learn about my trade with a system by system approach.

Right now I am working on learning DWV and want to get ideas on what I will need to know about this system to pass the journeyman exam when it is time.

I have a few books and a few articles from internet.

Since I exhibit ADD behaviors and habits; I am jumping all over the place and find myself desiring some sort of blueprint as in:

What would the basic, intermediate, and advanced levels of knowledge include?

Book and article recommends welcome.
    When I started plumbing I purchased a current code book and the companion illustrated training manual (UPC by IAMPO). I also purchased a copy of Mathmatics for plumbers and pipefitters by raymond massey. They were the best 2 investments I made to learning the trade. The training manual explains the intent of the code page by page with illustrations for some of the complicated terminology (at least it seems complicated til you understand what it is they are saying).

Ask questions and read the codebook. I memorized the fixture loading tables, trap arm limitations, ect.

I'd crawl under a few old houses (40 yrs.+) and take a look at how things are arranged. Generally, they got things right. Since everything had to be leaded or screwed in, they concentrated on getting the most bang for the least amount of pipe. And, they didn't wet vent, vertically or horizontally. Get ahold of a code book and find the waste and vent tables. Then MEMORIZE them. Same thing when you tackle water and gas. Once you memorize the tables, you own them. And that, my friend, is power.
    Last edited by srdenny; 06-15-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Default Dwv

You have to learn the theory of DWV systems, and the reason why they are designed the way they are. Do not memorize drawings and schematics. EVERY system is different so any generic drawing will only fit a generic building and there are few of those.