Harvey's PVC Cement

Users who are viewing this thread

plumb.bob.down

Reaction score
Website
www.artcoenterprises.com
I know both CPVC and PVC are Poly-vinyl Chloride.

On the Harvey's PVC Cement can, it doesn't say that it's not permissible for CPVC.

Please tell me it will hold?

I cleaned every joint in the CPVC water supply before gluing it.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing you must understand is that plastic pipes such as ABS, PVC, and CPVC are made from different chemicals and their joints are not actually glued. The so-called glue is actually a solvent that dissolves the outer surfaces of the pipes and fittings briefly so that when the pieces are slide together the two surfaces actual flow together. It forms a chemical weld. Each of the types of pipe require different solvents. It probably seems that the joints you made are OK, but if the solvent you used was not the solvent for the kind of pipe you used, the joints will fail.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
this will probably start an arguement here but, if the can does not say it can be used on cpvc, I wouldn't use it. CPVC (clorinated poly vinyl cloride) is differant from PVC.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There are some multipurpose cements that explicitly say they will work on PVC, CPVC, and maybe even ABS. Every professional plumber I've talked to says avoid using these if at all possible -- stick with the PVC cement for PVC, CPVC cement for CPVC, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cement

The problem is that almost any cement will hold pipes together for a while just because it had filled the void and is pressing against the pipe and fitting. The thing you do not know is whether the pipe and fitting are actually bonded together or just being held by friction. If not bonded, then any subsequent movement will disturb the joint and it will either start leaking or come apart, depending on how much movement it can develop.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Even the primer alone will hold a CPVC joint up to about 50psi, based on one of my pressure-tests here. At about 51psi, all hell breaks loose :eek:.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks