New to Drive a sandpoint well

Users who are viewing this thread

PMarch

Reaction score
Hey Folks..

I found this forum and thought I would ask questions here.
My project was to drive a sandpoint well for watering lawn and washing car. The water is pretty expensive here.
I was told that the water table where I live was about 25 feet or so.
But I have a guy about 500 meters from me that drove a well down 39 feet to get water.

Here is what I have done so far.

This started as a two day project and it is now about 2 weeks.

1. I started driving the sandpoint and used a four foot 1 1/4 inch pipe.
Screwed up the first pipe(Learning experiences) Pulled the sandpoint and drove it back this time protecting my threads.

2. I had some friends coming to help so we were testing by adding water in the pipe. at 18 feet I thought I had reach the water. I was pooring water in the pipe and priming my hand pump and water was coming us. But it was the water following the pipe so.. I was not in the water.

3. I then hit a very hard area.. for about 5 to 7 feet. But then it started going better.

4. I am now at 30 feet and today after doing some research, I decided to use my garden hose and get it down there to backflush and be sure the sandpoint was not plugged.

4. I lot of sand came up and I was able to go right to the point.

5. I then connected the hand pump and stated pumping. It started pumping water but the piped filled with sand and eventually plugged again.

6. Put down the hose again and unplugged and try to pump again
Plugged it again
Did that 4 or 5 times then I gave up.

Now.. last time I cleaned it with the garden hose. I refil the pipe with water an it went down really fast.. but I checked with a flashlight and the water stops going down 12 feet down the pipe.

I dont know what to do. Am I passed the water.. , am I still not deep enough.. I need suggestion folks.. I am loosing my mind with that thing.
I have put about $400 in pipes and the point down there. I dont want to loose it..

HELP

THank you

Paul

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of Point you used, but it sounds llike you broke it off or slinkied it. There shouldn't be sand in the pipe until you put the Pump on and start pumping.

You may need to start over. You can try to pull the pipe back and see what damage you have. If your using a Sledge Hammer, that will be one of your largest problems.

bob...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
point

Your point should have screens to filter out the sand. IF the water remains at the 12' level, that may be the level of the water table. You will not know until you pump it down and see if it returns to that point. one thing you can be sure of however. If the eventual standing level is over about 25' below the pump, you are going to get very little water. If it is over 28' down, you will probably not get any water with that type of pump.

PMarch

Reaction score
well I tested all the way up to about 22 feet with no water.
The sand that is going thru is really really fine sand.. like silt.
I also thought that those jet pump were good up to 80 feet?

Thanks

Paul

PMarch

Reaction score
I drove it two more feet today to see.
I can put water in the pipe and the pipe keep overflowing.
If I try to pump it out.. I get a really really fine sand type that I keep bring up until it eventually plugs the pipe..

Then I unplug by putting the hose down.. to the bottom and it brings it all up.
When the hose is all the way down.. the pipe keeps overflowing... but it does take a bit of water in....not all the water overflow..

I still think I am above the water table.

The people across town go down to about 25 feet for watertable.
A neighbor closer to me.. about 500 yards has had to go to 39 feet..
So.. not over yet..
I am at 32 hehehe

Thanks

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks