(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing textured ceiling finish to smooth finish.

Default Changing textured ceiling finish to smooth finish.

I'm a new member so this question may have already been addressed. In this area eveyone refers to it as "popcorn ceilings". I know it's very messy and requires a lot of preparation, but I' retired so my labor is free. Home was built in '85 so I don't have to worry about the asbestos issue. My concern is mostly about room ceilings that have been repainted (sprayed with latex) and is there a commercial solution to accelerate the removal! Appreciate your feedback if you have experience with this process.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If it's been painted, it can be really messy to clean off. If you go to a good lumber yard, you should be able to find 1/4" drywall...I'd slap some of that up rather than trying to clean all the old crud off and fix the divots you make in the process.

For areas that haven't been painted, A spray bottle filled with plain water works. Spray it on, let it sit for a moment, then scrape it off. Works pretty well...I did about 500 sq ft in a few hours.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The 1/4" drywall with really long screws and a whole lot of glue is the way to go.

Otherwise prepare to scrape like an animal. It will likely never look right.

Tom

You would have to scrape it off either way I'd guess. Glue won't do much good with the heavy popcorn.

Charlie

Default ceiling

Run the scraper over the painted ceiling. It should take enough of the high spots off so the water can penetrate into the popcorn. It is not even enough for 1/4" sheetrock to make a level ceiling.

Guys,

I've seen this done before several times. Granted the guys doing the work were professional drywallers but it comes out perfect. On one of the jobs I lived in the house for 2 years before selling it. So it didn't come apart.

They punch a bunch of holes in the ceiling to find the studs and mark the ceiling. They glue the board with thick beads, use long screws set the boards. After setting the board they glue gaps as necessary.

I think they did knock off some high stuff but I wouldn't say the knocked off much.

I'm about to have another one done this way but it's a spanish swirl and not the usual popcorn.

Tom

This stuff should help to loosen up the popcorn:
    http://www.homaxproducts.com/product.../24/index.html
    It's supposed to work on painted surfaces too.
    Last edited by Squ1rrel; 06-11-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

I used the water and spray bottle and it turned out well.

I did have to go back over it and add some joint compound in a few places.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Just remember that if this is old, it may contain asbestos. Here, if you de-popcorn it is required to submit a sample for asbestos test. If it is asbestos, you have to have the guys in the white suits come in and do it.