Cost to buy and replace J10S pump

Users who are viewing this thread

drainfly

Reaction score
Can you please give me a general sense of the cost to buy and install a Goulds J10S jet pump for a well-water irrigation system?

I've seen prices online from $360-$650 for the pump. My irrigation company quoted me $2,300 for parts and labor and it struck me as outrageously expensive.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds fairly reasonable to me. The pumps you found on line are probably from a warehouse sales outfit with very low overhead. Your local pump dealer likely pays almost that much the pump, so has to sell it for considerably more to make a profit. The labor likely is for two men and a truck for several hours. This whole question is very much like replacing a water heater. If you can DIY you can buy the heater for say $500. You're out $0 for labor. But if you hire a plumber to furnish and install the heater, the total cost may be $1500-$2000. Sure, it's a lot of money, but that's because of his overhead and profit margin. The reason many of us are DIYers is not because we necessarily feel the plumber is ripping us off, it's simply because we are able to do at least some of these jobs ourselves even though sometimes we get in over our heads. That's when the Dirty Harry adage enters the picture: "A man's got to know his weaknesses."

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I suspect we aren't getting the full picture here. Is this a new installation, or a repair? Is there a point to be installed?

drainfly

Reaction score
it's a repair

When the irrigation company came to turn on the system for the spring, they claimed that the pump was not working and needed to be replaced. Apparently there was little or no water pressure in the lines to the sprinkler heads, and when they tried priming the pump, water was leaking into the garage.

I'm assuming that they felt the pump was broken beyond the point of repair.

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Call a pump company. Irrigation guys are generally not pump experts. Important is to isolate a pump from the sprinkler system, so the pump can be evaluated on its own. A lot of sprinkler system designs leave this out, and a bunch of stuck-open zone valves might look like an under-performing pump.

Did this pump freeze over the winter?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
J10S $398 with free shipping from WWPP.
http://www.wwpp.us/goulds/goulds-jet-pump.shtml

I would not buy a pump from an irrigation company.

You need to test the pump independent of the irrigation system. Hook it up the the source and see how much water and pressure it delivers.

If you find that the irrigaiton company gave you a bum steer, then get another irrigation service company.

People who own such systems should learn how they work and how to diagnose problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks