Outdoor Faucet Alternatives for Summer Use

Users who are viewing this thread

lc1983

Reaction score
Since I'm installing a low pressure (25lb) micro-irrigation system outside to water hanging plants, I'm thinking that I could integrate an outdoor garden faucet into the system for summer use, about 20 feet away from the house on a wooden retaining wall (that runs between the house and garage).

At present I have a brass manifold with 4 garden hose outlets attached to a frost resistant sill cock on the exterior of our house. I'm using two of the 4 outlets to supply the micro-irrigation system using Orbit fittings and one of the outlets for a garden hose. So that leaves one garden hose outlet open on the brass manifold.

My question is simply whether I can use the remaining garden hose outlet to connect (with appropriate fittings) to a horizontal run of flexible 1/2" CSA rated (150lb pressure rated) polyethylene plastic pipe that in turn connects (with appropriate fittings) to a faucet mounted on the wooden retaining wall (with a drain outlet for fall use). I thought I'd run the 20' length of PE pipe about 12" horizontal above grade level and use a push-fit elbow to go up to the faucet mounted on the retaining wall. An existing concrete patio between the house and garage precludes running any underground pipe (without a whole pile of extra work).

Helpful suggestions most appreciated, including comments on feasibility, better alternatives and best kind of fittings to use with the 150lb 1/2" polyethylene pipe. Given a northern climate, I'd drain the PE pipe each fall. Thanks in advance!

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds insane to me.

Were I to do something like this, it would be with deep-buried 200 PSI polyethylene, and a deep-bury hydrant. And I would never leave it on all night.

And that's if I didn't already have a sprinkler system to which I can already attach any manner of micro gadgets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks