Round Front ADA Toilet Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Merckle

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace a crappy Crane in a small bathroom that really only has room for a round front toilet but would like to have an ADA height. I know that Toto's Dalton is one possibility but have seen somewhat mixed reviews on its functionality.

I'd very much appreciate hearing about other possibilities that might be good, since round front ADA toilets don't seem to be nearly as common as elongated models.

Thanks very much for any replies to my request.

Joe
Knoxville, TN

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ada

ADA is a commercial requirement, and round front toilets are not intended for commercial applications. That is why you find very few models.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
cst424ef_main.jpg

Toto has the CST423SF/CST423EF Promenade Round Front Comfort Height Toilet.
Available in the G-Max (1.6gpf) and E-Max (1.28gpf).

I've sold over 400 Daltons in white last year with no complaints, i have had a few in the last couple of years that complain about splashing but that would be out of thousands i've sold.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRW

Reaction score
Eljer makes a one piece long bowl that fits in the same space as a regular toilet. It is the Newport. It is also ADA height.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm with Peanut 9199 on this.
I had the Dalton in my home for a while, and thought it worked very well. No longer made after 2012

There is no splash.
If someone had mistaken a Carusoe for a Dalton, that's the only way I could have seen that being said. The Carusoe could, simply because it flushes much differently than the Dalton. The Carosoe is a washdown the Dalton is a siphon jet.

Updated 6/17/2014

cst244ef_zoom.jpg

TOTO Entrada round front, comfort height
CST243EF

Last edited:

Merckle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'd thought that the Dalton would probably be the best choice, all things considered, and am glad to hear that most have been satisfied with that model.

So, although I'd like to be able to wait for the Promenade with G-Max, we'll go with the Dalton, since we'll be having the bathroom totally remodeled before long.

mapman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.cuwcc.org
Round front "ADA" model

Merckle-

In the MaP testing report there are 20 different gravity-fed & pressure-assist tank-type toilet models shown with ADA-height bowls of the round front style, from 9 different manufacturers/sources as follows:

American Std Townsend Champion - 1,000 grams (length of round bowl, 27-3/8" long)
Caroma Adelaide 270 (2 models*) - both 700 grams (length of round toilet, 28-1/4" long)
Caroma Caravelle 270* - 800 grams (length of round toilet, 28-1/4" long)
Duravit (5 models w/in-the-wall tanks) - 250 to 600 grams
Foremost Gemini - 1,000 grams (27" long)
Foremost AIO pressure-assist* - 1,000 grams
Glacier Bay (Home Depot) - 1,000 grams
Jacuzzi Perfecta (2 models) - 800 and 1,000 grams (27-1/8" long)
Kohler Cimarron 3497 - 800 grams (length of round toilet, 28-1/8" long)
Kohler Memoirs (2 models) - both 1,000 grams (length of round toilet, 28-3/8" long)
Niagara (flapper type) - 1,000 grams
Niagara Muskoka (flapperless) - 600 grams
Toto Dalton 650 grams (length of round toilet, 26-1/8" long)
Toto Promenade CST423SFG, ( length of round toilet, 26-1/8" long)
Toto Aquia III, CST464MF (length of elongated toilet, 27-0")
Vitra Evergreen* - 800 grams

(for info, go to https://www.map-testing.com/

Those with an asterisk (*) are U.S. EPA WaterSense-certified high efficiency toilets.

So, there IS definitely much to choose from. But, you should note that having an ADA-height bowl does not necessarily mean that the entire fixture is ADA compliant. Therefore, do not confine yourself to looking only for "ADA fixtures". For your purposes, instead look for bowl heights of 16 inches and above. Manufacturers will use other terms for these bowls, such as "comfort height", "right height", or something like that, because they cannot use the term ADA-compliant unless the entire fixture meets all the requirements.

mapman

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm planning to replace a crappy Crane in a small bathroom that really only has room for a round front toilet but would like to have an ADA height.
When the question about round front ADA was asked, it was to conserve space in a small bathroom.
There are many round front tall bowls, that are "longer" than elongated bowls.
If length is not important, then there are as many choices as listed above.
Just remember, that when considering "space" requirements, there are just a few bowls that are fairly compact.
Or you could just get a compact elongated if it's going to be the same length anyway.
The Caroma round bowl toilets are 28-1/4" long.
The Toto Dalton round bowl is 26-1/2" long.
That kind of gives you an idea of the range.

The newer Kohler Wellworth even though it\'s better than the older one is just not all that good.
Consumers Digest liked it, but then they don\'t do plumbing. I remove quite a few Wellworth toilets.
There are much better choices out there than the Wellworth. Since the premise of this report is that all of the toilets come recommended, it has not made the list this time.
Close, but no cigar!

April 2008 update, this year Consumers Digest liked the three toilets above.
They dropped the Wellworth from the list, and replaced it with the Kohler Cimarron.
They added the Champion 4 to the list, which hopefully it\'s better than the Champion 3 that gave consumers so much trouble.
Also on the list is the TOTO Carlyle, one of Toto\'s more expensive models.
Toto also makes similarly performing toilets like the Drake and Ultramax with pricing starting at \$220.

All of these are gravity toilets, however Consumers Digest says

"American Standard, Kohler and Toto are relying on the power of pressurized air."

Toto has never made a pressurized air toilet, and American Standard and Kohler only have a few models with it.
It may be that the reviewer got his facts wrong when he put together his list of Best Buys.
A quick look inside the tanks will reveal that these are in fact, gravity toilets.
Fifteen years ago, Toto went with a 3" flush valve between the tank and bowl, creating more flushing power, without the noise.

Terry
Kohler Wellworth, I\'ve seen it get good reviews in Consumers Digest and other places, but don\'t see it on your list - do you know of problems with it?
January 11, 1999
Robin

sydney_on_tile.jpg

Caroma Sydney with 270 bowl.
The round bowl ADA is 30" from the wall to the end of the bowl.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ADA has lots of commercial applications, and since those require elongated, they are more common. The Drake is a fine toilet that has been copied by various manufacturers. They typically don't have the same quality control. My mother has two of them I installed in her house. You won't have any problems...a defect is extremely rare. The complaints on many of the low-flush toilets is that they don't clean as well as the old 5-7 gallon flushing ones...well, duh! The water spot on a Drake is larger than some. CEFIONTECT also helps, as it is much smoother glaze than commonly available finishes plus it has anti-bactderial properties.

mapman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.cuwcc.org
5 gallon toilets flush better? I don't think so!

Jadnashua--

To say that the old 5-7 gallon toilets cleaned better may be only PARTLY true! It depends upon the flush technology and the bowl design. But, this is NOT a "duh", that's for sure!!! On flush performance (waste removal), however, testing has proven that the newest generation 1.6 gallon fixtures are far superior in flushing performance than the 3.5-5-7 gallon flushers of old. Unless you have the empirical evidence that authoritatively shows that more water is better for cleaning and flushing, then those kind of statements are without foundation and are incorrect.

Thanks.

mapman

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At the moment I have CEFIONTECT on two bowls and one without.
The bowl with Sangloss rinses better.
Rinsing better makes for a cleaner bowl.
Customers with both tell me the same thing.
They may not "flush" better, but they stay "clean" better.
That being said, I was going to give the non-CEFIONTECT bowl to a friend and put in the third CEFIONTECT bowl.
CEFIONTECT is better.
The one downstairs is 3-1/2 years old and looks like the day I installed it.
And yes, there are other glazes out there that clean better too.

Anything over 500 grams MaP is basically overkill anyway.
Most of my customers want to see some bowl rinse too.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm selling about 3,000 units a year, with a percentage of that being CEFIONTECT.
Which by the way is a pretty good seller.

CEFIONTECT poll

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I"ve been selling the Caroma toilets for years.
There are much better products out there.
Everyone knows about the Caroma streaking problem.

I sell a lot of dual flush toilets, a lot.
But almost no Caroma anymore.

I'm selling farm more Toto Aquia toilets.
They have been flushing well, and stay cleaner.
The rise water stays in the bowl too.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My comment on a 5 gallon flush toilet was not a statement on how well it actually flushed waste, but in the fact that with 3-4 times the water volume, you dilute what's there a lot more than you do with a 1.6 or 1.28gallon flush toilet. Rinse your hair with a cup of water verses a gallon...it's easier to do with a gallon. It's also easier if you have some pressure verses a sprinkle. Many of the new toilets work well, but you'll rinse more crud off the sides, if you get sliders with an old one than a new one...the new one may very well flush the solids out better, I know they do on the ones I own (both Totos).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks