Sink drain "leaded in"

Users who are viewing this thread

toyman

Reaction score
We are remodeling the bathroom. The sink needs to have the drain replaced. Problem is the old pipe was leaded in and has no threads. The drain goes into a 4 way pipe union that runs to the roof and basement so it would not be easy to replace. Since I cannot re-lead or there isn't any pipe threads any suggestions as to how to get my sink drain hooked up again?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Harry may Say..

hj and his traditional ways may say you can just solder in another brass trap to the lead. Is your wall fitting tee all lead? If not you can replace the lead with plastic. Eventually all the lead will probably have to be replaced. A temporary repair is to try to cut the brass flat and use a compression coupling.
hj, I have decided that I am not going to try to resolder a twisted delta valve even if it is below your standards.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Is it soldered to a piece of lead pipe, or more likely, is it soldered into a brass piece. If the latter, then you cut that brass piece out and screw a nipple and a "trap adapter", (they go by many different names depending on what part of the country you live in), and then connect the trap the common way.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
I beat hj

hj, I just noticed that I have become a Senior Member (over 100 posts?) while you're still just a Member. Does that mean I'm a big mouth :p ? A month ago we were Junior Members. Terry promotes fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks