Shallow Well Pump Pressure Stays The Same

Users who are viewing this thread

wp1

Reaction score
Hi. I have a shallow well ( 11 feet to the water and 22 feet to the bottom ). The 3/4 hp pump sits next to the well hole and the 2 gallon captive air tank is mounted to the top of the pump. This set up is for 40 psi cut in, and 60 psi cutout. When I turn on the pump the pressure guage reads 35 psi and when I open the water valve the pressure drops to 20 psi. The problem is that when I close the water valve the pressure climbs to 35 psi but does not go any higher than that. I have observed it for about 3 minutes and it stays at 35 so I turn off the pump after that. Since this set up is 40 - 60 the pressure switch never gets to turn off the motor. There is only about 3 feet of pipe connected to the pump and I have confirmed that nothing is leaking. Can the problem be with the pump itself? Maybe too weak to build up pressure over 35 psi? I checked the air pressure on the captive air tank and it is always at about 38 psi which is how it came from the factory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You didn't mention brands, but the 2 gallon tank tells me you have one of Chinese Knockoffs. If so, 35 may be all it can do.

bob...

wp1

Reaction score
The pump is a craftsman 3/4 hp shallow well pump and the tank is a sears kenmore captive air tank with a maximum capacity of 100 psi. The tank is brand new, but I don't know about the pump. Sorry I did not add this info in the first post.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it's a plastic Sears Pump, chances are the Jet inside the Pump has gotten hot and warped. This will greatly effect the pressure capabilities of the Pump.

If it's Cast Iron, the Impeller may be nuked from heat.

You can't tell if you have an air leak by looking at pipe, you can't see one.

bob...

wp1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bob. I think that you are correct about the internal part of the pump known as the jet. I am going to use the pump as is for the time being and when the time looks right I will purchase a new pump.
Again, thanks very much for the info.

wp1

Reaction score
Well...my pump decided to give up the ghost. The motor still humms nicely, but no water comes out of the valve. So........I got the same model, Craftsman 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump and hooked it up and it works great. Turns on at 40 psi and turns off at 60 psi just like it is supposed to.
Happy Camper here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks