window replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I am looking at replacing a couple windows in my house. I have heard there are only 2-3 brands of windows that are good. What brands do you recommend for a basic window?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot more brands than that....some national, and some local.

Visit a big lumber yard in your area to see what they have. Look in the yellow pages for window showrooms.

One important feature is to buy from a brand and a dealer that has been around and will be around. You want a minimum 10 year warranty on the seal of double panes, and these days some companies offer lifetime. But that warranty is only as good as the company.

You will have to decide if you want new-construction windows....meaning you get into the siding and flash a new window in to the structure just like new ones, or you get some kind of "stick on" replacement window. Those are easier but don't always look real nice.

Metal frame....with thermal break. Vinyl. Wood. Wood clad with vinyl or aluminum. Lots of choices.

At my condo, we have chosen metal frame windows, with the thermal break. They are new construction windows, except the manufacturer makes them to order without the nailer flange. The fit up to the existing jam ( sashes removed ) and do not protrude much beyond the orginal sash and jam. The appearance is very litlle changed viewed from outside, so when some ownners get new windows and some don't, their is not an aesthetic issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Windows come in two basic varieties...replacements which are designed to only replace part of the whole window frame, and new construction, which typically needs the siding off to allow for anchoring and sealing the flange. If you can go with a new construction window, you can get a window from anyone. Replacements come in vinal, wood, aluminum, and fiberglass. Almost everyone makes one, and the prices vary considerably. Whenever I get around it, I will probably get some from www.infinitywindows.com for my own place. Typically on replacements, since they fit into an existing opening and need to provide their won support, end up having smaller glass area. Because the Infinity windows are made of a very strong proprietary fiberglass, the glass area is essentially as big as with a new construction window. You have the option of wood grain interiors that can be stained to match, or smooth surface that can be painted, if desired. On vinal, the quality of the frame can vary considerably. The quality of the glazing can vary, too. The glazing may only come from a few places, but the rest probably has multiple sources. It's the quality of the whole thing that makes a difference.

Shluffer

Reaction score
I have silverline windows and we are very happy with them.

When you install them, make sure that you insulate and seal them well. Air gaps and uninsulated spaces will detract from the energy efficiency or your new windows. Others will know better, but my understanding is that poorly installed windows can be worse than the old windows you are replacing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks