(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bad foot valve

posts, emails and comments from readers reposted by Terry

Default Bad foot valve

I assume we have a bad foot valve at our summer home. About 2 years ago, after being gone for a week with the power off, we would lose our prime. So I started leaving the pump on, so when the pressure dropped it would re-charge itself. But recently when I arrived there, the pump was running but no water in the system. I assume that the foot valve has gradually gotten worse to the point that it doesn't hold water at all. If it is a bad foot valve, how do I get it out?

The pump is in the basement. Two lines from the pump converge through a fitting into a 2" pipe that goes through the basement wall. There is a 2" pipe sticking out of the ground about 4 feet with a cap on it. Inside that 2" pipe there is what appears to be a 1" pipe that must be attached to some type of "fitless adapter".

I'm assuming that I can use that 1" pipe to pull the guts out of the 2" casing. Is that correct? What do I need to watch for?

Thanks for any help.

Look4info 6/5/2008

Previous member

It's not quite that simple unless it's a Shallow Well Jet hookup. It's hard to tell with Concentric Piping but you may either have just a footvalve down there or you may have a Single Pipe Jet which does not pull easily. I think you will find that the 2" pipe in the yard is really 2.5" or 3" ID.

bob...

Previous member

I must be cracking up. Your reply asking what Concentric Piping is; was there and now it's gone. Wierd!

Concentric Piping is a Pipe in a Pipe. The Suction Pipe being the inside one. Then the outside Pipe is pressurized to protect the Suction line. This became code in Wisconsin and Michigan way back when. In the 60's if I remember correctly. That's why the pipe outside is larger to allow things to be pulled up through it.

bob...

Default jet pump won't build pressure

replaced footvalve in shallow well. and new presure switch, now pump
    will not build up pressure to cut off. just keeps running

Previous member

You may have a plugged jet which would be either bolten on the front of the pump or it may be inside the Pump.

bob...