Toro sprinklers question

Users who are viewing this thread

Arla

Reaction score
First post, so I'm hoping I don't make too many errors in etiquette.

I brought my house last year and as part of annual checking figured I'd make sure all the sprinklers that the prior owner had had installed were working still (and pointing in the right directions).

House is in El Cerrito (Northern CA) has three sprinkler zones (quite frankly I think the setup is wrong, but right now is NOT the time for me to be trying to change it all around).

Zone one has a bunch of popups
Zone two has four pop-ups and two impacts, one of the impacts is a SuperJet (at least that's what it says on top of the impact head) the other claims to be a Toro (and seems to have a designation K05?)
Zone three has 3 impacts all Toro (D04 apparently) and three popups.

The issue is in Zone 2, the Toro Impact doesn't appear to be getting enough pressure to work properly (it turns quite slowly and doesn't have the pressure to trip the release so that it turns back around, so it gets to the "end point" and then stays there not turning).

I've not found anywhere with any obvious "puddling" so I don't believe it's an underground leak (but may be wrong), and I'm vaguely thinking maybe the filter needs cleaning? Does anyone have any ideas for getting the head out of the sprinkler to check it, I know that Rainbird makes a sprinkler Wrench that would seem to go into the guts of the impact sprinkler, but I'm not sure if the wrench size is universal or specific to rainbird heads.

Any advice?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, mixing fixed spray pop-ups and impacts or rotors, on the same zone, is poor design, due to different precipitation rates. Low pressure is often the cause of failure to reverse on impacts, and that can be the result of too many gpm on too small pipe.

Arla

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd read that having popup's and impacts on the same zone was bad, but you deal with what you get, in this case I got popup's and impacts in the same zones, I have to assume that at some point it worked (I believe the prior owner had a professional in to install it) so my next thought it to try to confirm if the Toro K05 has a filter (and is clean) my guess is that it has a filter, and needs cleaning, but trying to figure out how to get the rotor up out of the ground is where I'm "stumbling".

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Make a diagram of the property and the existing sprinkler system. You may be looking at a system-wide replacement of sprinkler heads, since it sounds like home-center equipment was used. If all the equipment carried the Toro brand name (they do not sell impact heads to professional contractors) then maybe you want to talk to Toro.

Arla

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the advice, think it's something I'll slowly work on at some point, right now I've got too many other things going on to even really think about this (was hoping it might be a quick fix). I did discover that the rainbird sprinkler wrench does work for Toro Impacts (at least the ones I have, think they are Universal Impact 40's because the body shape matches) also discovered that the spinkler wrench does NOT work for Orbit Superjet sprinkers.

Someday I'll get to it, but right now I think getting the well pump working first is more of a priority, then we'll see about getting the spinkers setup properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks