Check valve for temp. fix of pressure loss...

Users who are viewing this thread

Nozaki

Reaction score
:eek:Hi,
I have a Flexcon WR120S pressure tank about 10 years old in my house. It is connected to my deep well pump. Several months ago, I noticed the pump cycling once every hour even without anything turned on. Noticed a small leak where the plastic inlet pipe came in to pressure tank. I tightened clamp on pipe and put some sealant around the coupling. The tank held its pressure and I thought all was right with the world.

Recently, I noticed the same type of pressure loss, but now it is every 30-45 minutes that the pump cycles on. I have not noticed any water leaks around the pipe connection points, so I'm afraid I have a water leak in the exterior pipes to the well or a check valve leak inside the well pump (I think that's where my valve is located). My question is could I put a check valve between the inlet pipe and my pressure tank to stop the pressure loss. Right now, I don't have the funds to pay a well expert to come and fix whatever could be wrong. I don't know if a pump check valve can be replaced by itself or do I have to get a whole new pump. Either way, right now I can't afford a big repair bill. I thought a check valve between tank and inlet inside the house might be at least a temporary fix to preserve the life of my well pump.

I should add that I checked my bladder pressure (it is holding at 38PSI), and last year replaced the relief valve, D module (set at 40/60), and pressure gauge.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated, thank you.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You did check the tank pressure with the pump off and all the water pressure drained. Right?

Does the tank feel heavy?

How old is the well and pipes?

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A check valve above ground will just mask the problem, and will most likely cause you to have air in the lines. If you have a leak down hole or the bottom check is not holding, it needs to be fixed before it causes other damage.

Nozaki

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies,

Yep, I drained the tank and even let the air out of the bladder. I re-pressurized the bladder to 38psi with the drain valve open(water to house shut off), and did not see air coming out of drain valve. The tank is about 10 years old but the underground pipes are over 25 years old I believe. It is getting tough to look for leaks around tank because Summer is almost here in NH and condensation is forming around brass fittings.

I know that putting a check valve in house would just be a stop gap but just can't afford any repairs right now. Just trying to find a way to possibly troubleshoot any repair myself with my limited knowledge. Next I'll dig up the well top and listen for any hissing or something that to my untrained ear may sound "wrong". Hate to have to dig up pipes to look for leaks but I'd rather do it myself than pay a well guy to do it.

I'm curious, how would putting a check valve between inlet pipe and well pressure tank cause air in the lines. Do you mean if the check valve in the well is failing and air would get in the lines between house and pump?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Check valve up top closes and the entire pipe below is under a vacuum. Air leaks in until the water seeks it's level in the well.

bob...

Nozaki

Reaction score
Okay,

So, ballpark, how much does it cost to have a well expert come over and try to repair my problem. Price to say replace pipes and/or replace pump? If is the check valve on the pump, can this be replaced without changing whole pump? Do I do the digging for the pipes to save a little money? Just looking for general possible costs.

Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Every area is different. Depends on a lot of things including competition. Shouldn't cost anything to get an estimate or two. Sometimes the home owner does things to try and help that actually makes it harder on the pump man. You will probably even learn some things by just letting them give you an extimate.

Nozaki

Reaction score
So there wouldn't be anything to be gained from digging up the well head. I thought that I might hear something that could point to a leak, but again I am not sure what to listen for that could be amiss.

Would be great if I there was a shut-off valve between the inlet pipe and the pressure tank. Then I could isolate the pressure tank and know if the leak was coming from it and not from the exterior of the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks