Maximum "void" under cement under layment

Users who are viewing this thread

tomcat22

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm deep in my bathroom remodel and am wondering how big a hole in the subfloor would be acceptable without compromising the tile floor. Specifically, I removed a 2 inch PVC drain and am left with a 2.5 inch hole in the 3/4 inch plywood subfloor. I plan on using 1 ft square tiles. Would this hole, under my cement underlayment, be a problem? I can't patch it from below, so I'd have to cut out a large area, add bracing, and replace with new plywood. My joists are 2x12, 16 inch OC. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd be somewhat worried. CBU isn't structural. You might want to ask this question over at www.johnbridge.com. As a general rule, on a floor tile, you want a minimum of 80% thinset coverage (ideally, 100% support) which assumes a 100% subfloor. The biggest worry would be if someone in say high heels stood just in the right position...but see what the tile experts have to say on the referenced site.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You did not state where the hole is located. If it is under a sink, tub, or vanity where no weight will be placed on it, the CBU should be fine. Anywhere else, the sheet metal will work.

tomcat22

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The hole is in a traffic area. I hadn't thought about sheet metal. Great idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks