Kitchen Sink -- disposal hookup, drain miscalculation

Users who are viewing this thread

RemodelBob

Reaction score
When I roughed in my kitchen, I placed my 2" drain stub out where I thought would be close to the edge of the cabinet making it easy to install my p-trap and disposal.

As it turns out, the wife wants the disposal on the left side, which is just about right in front of my stub out. If I moved it to the right basin it would be a no brainer, but I would never be able to change it up.

So I am going to rig it to fit in the left side.

Here is what I have, let me know if this is legit or crazy.

2" stub out
2" 90 (short on the horizontal--wrong I know, but well oversized--just not enough room for a long sweep)
2"-1.5" bushing
1.5" Y to street 45 to disposal p-trap
1.5" Y to street 45 to right basin p-trap
1.5" 90 to stub to studor vent (AAV)

The pictures are of the problem and the un-glued setup. The san-t you see with pipe is just there to hold it up. I am going to strap it to the back wall as cleanly as possible.

Let me know what you think...in the meantime I will be chipping away at the leftover plywood the counter buys left in the way of my faucet hookups...

IMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7522.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Of all the possible ways you could do it, and we would have to be there to determine the best one, you have chosen the worst. It would never pass ANY inspection, and will have many functional problems if you do it that way. Your first mistake may have been using 2" pipe.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It looks like you are working way to hard to hook up a drain. It looks pretty though.

I'd hook up the faucet before I put all that stuff in the way...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that AAV is allowed? Most places, the fact that it may be difficult to get to a real vent does not mean it is impossible, and the inspectors do not allow it.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming the AAV is allowed, are you allowed to come of the horizontal like that? Also, does anyone allow for two traps on one arm like that?

-Sam

RemodelBob

Reaction score
Have you confirmed that AAV is allowed? Most places, the fact that it may be difficult to get to a real vent does not mean it is impossible, and the inspectors do not allow it.

AAVs are allowed--it is a little tough to put a vent line in after the sheetrock and cabinets are installed.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
Of all the possible ways you could do it, and we would have to be there to determine the best one, you have chosen the worst. It would never pass ANY inspection, and will have many functional problems if you do it that way. Your first mistake may have been using 2" pipe.

HJ, how would you hook it up? This was my mock up and I was looking for advice because I didn't like how complicated it came out.

I could have simplified down to one Y and have both sinks share one p-trap, but those dual sink diverters look to constrict the flow a lot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

You should have the vent before the p-trap, if you use an AAV, then it would be on a fitting before the trap. In the drawing above, the pipe going up is the vent,
With an AAV, the pipe would be cut shorter, and the AAV installed. (with access for air and replacement)

RemodelBob

Reaction score
when you say "before the p-trap" do you mean between the p-trap and the wall?

I think that is what I have. I just put the AAV off to the far right because I wanted to get it as high as possible (with room to remove and replace if needed).

I would hook it up just like your drawing, but the drain stub out is directly behind the disposal, which is why I am here looking for layout advice.

Thanks
Rob

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that is what I have. I just put the AAV off to the far right because I wanted to get it as high as possible (with room to remove and replace if needed).

Right now you have vent, trap, trap, drain. You want trap, vent, drain.

Like HJ said, using 2" pipe in the cabinet isn't helping matters.

What is the dimension between the disposer housing and the back of the cabinet?

Is the dishwasher to the left or right of the sink?

-Sam

Last edited:

RemodelBob

Reaction score
What is the problem with 2"? Everything I have read says that oversize pipe is better. Some places have even said that oversized pipe can eliminate the need for a vent. Since there was no practical way install a vent, I opted for oversize pipe and an AAV. I could understand smaller pipe being a problem, but why would larger pipe be a problem?

I don't have an exact measurement right now, but the 2" 90 is about 1" away from disposal housing. My guess is a 2" 90 is about 4". So I am guessing 5" from the back of the cabinet.

Dishwasher is to left of cabinet.

So what you are saying is pull the vent off the Y on the left and use one of those constricting double sink hookups into one p-trap and dump that somewhere further to the right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

You have been reading the wrong materials. Because of flow velocities and self scouring properties, larger drain lines are not always better. But in your case 2" does not give any advantages and takes up more space. The problem with your mock up is that both drains connect to "S" traps, and the AAV does absolutely nothing to improve them. I might place an elbow behind the disposer, then a 1/8 or 1/16 elbow facing towards the right hand sink. Then use a conventional disposer/continuous waste configuration with the trap connecting to the drain pipe, after installing a 2x1 1/2 reducer and then a trap connector.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
You have been reading the wrong materials. Because of flow velocities and self scouring properties, larger drain lines are not always better. But in your case 2" does not give any advantages and takes up more space. The problem with your mock up is that both drains connect to "S" traps, and the AAV does absolutely nothing to improve them. I might place an elbow behind the disposer, then a 1/8 or 1/16 elbow facing towards the right hand sink. Then use a conventional disposer/continuous waste configuration with the trap connecting to the drain pipe, after installing a 2x1 1/2 reducer and then a trap connector.

Thank you. I will mock that up tonight.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
based on your feedback I came up with this mockup. let me know what you think.

2" 90
2" - 1.5" bushing
1.5" section of pipe
1.5" Y off to AAV
1.5" 90 to trap adapter (currently have a street 90, but thinking about using a long sweep)

The first picture shows what the ABS looks like.

The second shows the pvc slip joint p-trap setup.

I am not in love with that diverter, but if that is the way to do it, then so be it.

Thanks

IMG_7531.JPG
IMG_7532.JPG

RemodelBob

Reaction score
and here is the clearance behind the disposal with the 2" 90.

IMG_7536.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Scrap the disposer's outlet elbow. You should have gotten a disposer kit continuous waste with a straight flanged tailpiece, (instead of the elbow one you have which is to connect two sinks with strainers rather than one of them being a disposer), which connects directly to the disposer and goes directly to the tee, rather than making two 90s before going horizontal.

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks