Water Flow

Users who are viewing this thread

xd2005

Reaction score
I'm curious how much reduction in water flow I should expect if my water line goes from 1/2" galvanized, then about 6" of 1/2" CPVC, then converting to 3/4" CPVC?

I just replaced most of my hot water line with CPVC (only galvanized left is some stuff in the walls we could not easily get at, we figured replacing most is better than none). I have 1/2" galvanized coming down from the wall, with a 90 on it. We tied the CPVC to the galvanized at the 90. Unfortunately, we did not think of going the 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized 90 and instead tied a 1/2" CPVC male to the galvanized 90, then converted that to 3/4" CPVC after about 6".

Although most of the other faucets are after the conversion and seem okay, the kitchen seems a to have a noticable lower flow. I did check/clean the screen on the faucet.

Our kitchen is probably about 25 feet (of pipe) from this connection. At the sink, we do another short conversion to 1/2" CPVC (with a 90 that goes from 3/4" to 1/2") and tie that into 1/2" copper which goes to the sink/dishwasher. (as a side note, we make a short conversion from 3/4" CPVC to 1/2" CPVC to 1/2" copper for the other faucets as well)

I understand CPVC has a smaller inside diameter, but if I am not mistaken, the 3/4" CPVC is still slightly larger than the 1/2" galvanized especially with the amount of crud that was in them.

I'm considering taking the 1/2" galvanized 90 out and replacing with a 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized 90 and going straight to 3/4" CPVC. This would reduce one of the possible bottlenecks. However, if this is not likely to make a noticeable difference, I will leave as is.

If this is likely causing a reduction, any suggestions on how to go from 3/4" CPVC to 1/2" copper (for my two other conversions), using only CPVC? I could not locate a 3/4" CPVC connection that included 1/2" male threads. We are tying into a dielectric converter that was already in place. Would like to avoid needing to solder any copper.

Thanks!

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The solution I've come up at this point is taking 3/4" x 1/2" SharkBite connectors for my CPVC to copper connections and replacing the 1/2" galvanized 90 with the 1/2" x 3/4" galvanized 90 and going straight to 3/4 CPVC.

This should remove all 1/2" CPVC. It will mean I have to cut the dielectric converters out from the copper, which is okay since they aren't needed anymore. It would have been nice if SharkBite made a 3/4" x 1/2" MNPT connection, which would allow me to not have to cut the copper at all. That would have made everything 10x easier, but this should work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Xd2005

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks