Trouble connecting flange to floor

Users who are viewing this thread

arthurrc

Reaction score
How many screws is needed to adequately attach at toilet flange to the floor? I am putting it on ceramic tile and didn't leave room on both sides of the flange to drive screws on both sides. I can get 2 screws on the right side. I just don't want to have to go buy a special drill bit and run the risk of cracking my tile by drilling on the left side. However, I don't want to fall over while I'm using my toilet either. Any suggestions would be appreciated....within reason. Thanks for your help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The toilet should be anchored to the sub floor. I would think at least 4 screws well spaced around the flange would be sufficient. You can probably rent a drill with bits to drill the tile, but one way or another, you'd better be sure you have a screw on all sides.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use as many screws as possible!
Use #12 brass or, stainless steel screws long enough to grip on all the sub flooring.
Do drill the tile... If this toilet is not fastened down well enough it will leak and rot the floor out... What good is an uncracked tile on a rotted floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
depending on the tile, a diamond bit may be called for. Lowes sells Hitachi diamond core bits...in the size you'd need, it's less than $20. Since the diamond bits essentially grind the hole, there's little chance of cracking the tile unless you didn't get good thinset coverage, then all bets are off. Have a spray bottle, keep the bit wet, and don't use excessive pressure or speed, and the bit will last quite awhile. I drilled 10 holes in 3/8" thick granite with a 5/16" bit and it's still okay. Maybe not as hard as a tough porcelain, but close.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those bits work with some porcelain, but some of it is nearly as hard as the diamond bit, and the tile will laugh at it. It all depends on the tile...
It is essential to keep the bit wet and cooled off, regardless of the type you use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks