upgrading to a 1" meter

Users who are viewing this thread

ronyork7

Reaction score
I'm putting An addition on my house which has a bathroom and a laundry room. I currently have two bathrooms with showers and one tub. The inspector says that I have too many fixtures now for my supply line. I have 3/4 coming in from the street to the water meter and 3/4 branch lines there on. He wants me to put in a 1" meter. And increase the supply line. Can I increase the 3/4" coming from the street just before the meter and then continue on with the 1". Or do I have to dig up my whole front yard and run 1" all the way to the street turn off. He says I have 26 WFSU's. The cost of going to the street would be high so I hope I don't have to do that.
Thanks
Ron

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the inspector is nuts....

a 3/4 line can do quite a lot of bathrooms........

you are upgradeing to only a 3 bathroom house with a laundry

we have plumbed up to 5 bathrooms on a 3/4 line before...
with no issues. from any inspectors......

this fellow does not know what he is talking aobut
and I suggest you go up to his supervisor before you
get in too deep....

certainly dont dig up the yard....

perhaps you should talk to the water company first and
see what they have to say....

if they are willing to just install a 1 inch meter on your present yoke,
just do that... even though you probably wont know the differnece..at all

as long as it makes this inspector happy

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
meter

If the inspector requires a 1" line, then he will also probably require a 1" meter, which will be done by the water company after you pay the proper fees. Then you run YOUR 1" line to the building.

ronyork7

Reaction score
So it will be ok to just put in a 1" meter, change the building supply and have a 3/4" street supply? I have read that that is okay, I won't loose and water pressure will I?
Thanks guys for the input. Inspectors in NJ don't like homeowners doing their own work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure remains the same, regardless of the supply line until you exceed the flow it can provide...it would be the same with 1/4" supply line, but the volume it can provide is pretty small. So, your house, replumbed with 1" won't supply more than what the 3/4" line from the street can provide, but the pressure should be decent until you exceed what it can provide, which is a fair amount.

ronyork7

Reaction score
supply line change

Okay. The inspector says I have to go all the way to the street with a new 1" supply line. My meter is in my crawl space which I replaced with a 1" meter and changed all my branch and building supply lines to 1". The UPC says that you can have a 3/4" supply line from the street going to the meter, have a 1" meter and then 1" building supply lines and it will give you 36 WFSU on a 60' run. The inspector says the national plumbing code says something different. Anyone know what he is talking about. I have two bathrooms and I wanted to just and one more. Going all the way to the street with a new line would be really expensive. Right? Any help with this and what I can do would be great.
Ron

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero sense in hook a 1" meter on a 3/4" line. The 3/4" line will only deliver so much water at a given pressure. You can enlarge it all you want at the house, go to 4". You will still get the same amount of water and the same pressure. You have to enlarge the line from the street to at least 1". For what it's worth, usually the city is responsible for their side of the meter. Of course, usually the meter is at the street very close to the city main. Might inquire.

Montalvo

Reaction score
The 1" pipe to the street might be the cheap part!

When we built our house, the fire department said we needed to install fire sprinklers. The sprinkler company said that my 5/8" meter needed to be upgraded to a 1" meter for the sprinklers to function properly. So I called the water company and asked how much that would be. They told me $14,000! I replied, "No, maybe you misunderstood me. I just want a bigger meter." The woman said that the larger meter would be about $385 installed. The remainder of the fee was to be set aside for the expansion of the water system, since those with 1" meters use much more water on average than those with 5/8". I said, "Look, this is only needed because of the fire sprinklers. And we're not planning on turning them on twice a day to wet down the furniture!" But she wouldn't budge...rules are rules. No common sense allowed here. I had to go through four levels of management and threaten an expose on network news before someone was willing to grant me an exemption.

Can't wait until the government takes over management of healthcare. That'll be interesting...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the inspector is absolutely nuts...

I wonder if this fellow is looking for a bribe to look
the other way, or he jsut dont like you doing this work
yourself??

their is absolutely no reason to run a one inch line for the
whole house when your are talking abouit so little more added on to the system

Ask a plumber in your area....about this.. my guess is
the cheap way to do this is to find a plumber to take out
the permit for you and your problems will probably vanish...

it might just be better to at least get some ESTIMATES from local
plumbers to "finish the job" and see what they all have to
say about what really has to be done....

this sounds like the fellow is looking to make work for local plumbers to me...

I would not run that line till you get some straight answers from
an honest inspector or some honest plumber in your area..

Last edited:

ronyork7

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your input. I wish this guy would just take a hand out. But does anyone know what the national standard plumbing code says with how to size service supply lines. I read it and there were only 2 sentences. No table to charts. The UPC gives clear answers. So for any of you plumbers that know the NSPC please let me know when a 1" must be used when remodeling a house?

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
Ma.

Almost every residential household in Ma. has a 3/4" water supply into the house.
You want to add a full bath and a laundry, you already have 2 full baths.
Here's how we size in Ma.

Hot Cold
3 W.C 3
3 Lav. 3 3
3 Tub 6 6
1 Kitchen sink 2 2
1 Laundrey 2 2
1 Sill cock 2

Total 13 18 = 31 divided by 2= 15.5 = 1"

However, your going to lose f.u's once you t off, the hot only needs 7.5 which is 3/4" and the cold the same. so you need a 1" main which is bullshit, you should be fine with the 3/4" and once you hit the h.w heater it's 3/4" with 1/2" runs to the fixtures.
Again the pressure is always the same, the diameter increases the volume.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks