What do I need to install wall hung toilet in remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

renajames

Reaction score
We are doing a remodel of our bathroom in the basement. We found a beautiful tub on Craigslist for $100 and brought it home. The toilet is too close to fit the tub in there and needs to be moved over 2 feet. We were considering tearing up the cement floor and moving the toilet plumbing over two feet but then got the idea of a wall mount toilet and now we love that idea. The problem is we can't seem to get a knowledgeable answer about what parts exactly we need to do the installation. We are looking at the AS Glenwall as well as the Crane Rexmont. It seems these are the only choices with the tank outside the wall. We are leary of putting a tank inside a wall because we have had to do work inside our existing toilet tanks too often to want to tear out a wall whenever the toilet begins to "run" or whatever else goes wrong.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need? It looks like we need a "closet carrier" but those seem to come with the in-wall tank when I look them up. Does the Glenwall require a closet carrier. I haven't been able to find an on-line spec sheet that says one way or another. It looks like the Crane does require a closet carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any wall-hung toilet needs a carrier. If your wall is only a 2x4 stud wall, you may have a hard time fitting the drain connection, which then needs to still go down into the floor somewhere, so you'd likely need to tear up the floor anyways. It is my understanding (and I'm not a pro), a 2x6 wall is tight and deeper is better. While wall-hung has some advantages, you have far fewer choices. You may wish to tear up the floor and move it for a conventional toilet - make sure it is set properly for a 12" rough-in, or you'll again limit your choices. Code requires the toilet to have 15" clearance on either side of the centerline, and 24" in front of the toilet (I think this number is correct, but the other one is).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Both the Glenwall and the Rexmont need support in the wall.
That can either be a carrier, and a wallmount bracket.
The wall mount bracket below is made by Zurn.

The Glenwall uses the Flushmate pressure assist, and the Rexmont uses a 2" gravity flush valve.
The Glenwall works much better than the Rexmont.

Glenwall instructions

glenwall_picture.jpg

Glenwall toilet

Attachments

• zurn1280.gif
    zurn1280.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,307
Last edited:

renajames

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your advice/comments. We decided to tear up the cement and move the old toilet over two feet. It was looking like the cost would be about $1000 to do the wall mount installation and we still have to figure out how to attach the drain to the floor drain. Moving the floor drain doesn't seem simple but it is sounding a whole lot simpler than the wall mount. Especially after finding out that we would have to do something to extend the wall size because we have 2x4 construction. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks