basement floor tiles...asbestos?

Users who are viewing this thread

bozomedic

Reaction score
Since I have your attention, I have another question. After my basement flooded, I had several damaged floor tiles. These are the 9x9 floor tiles that are black. For the most part, they come up in one solid piece, but I did scrape some off the floor. I wore a particulate mask just in case. The house is from 1951. If they are asbestos tiles, are the tiles a concern? The reason why I ask is that the State health guy where I live said there are two types of asbestos fibers, fibrile and non-fibrile. He said that more than likely the floor tiles are non-fibrile and are not prone to become airborne. Is this true? I hope it is becuase I have small children. If it is not true, how do I safely remove them and what do I do about fibers possibly floating in the air? Thanks for your help.

Bozomedic

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

In the first place, since it is a basement, the tiles are probably asphalt not asbestos, especially if they are 1/8" thick, not 1/16". As far as airborne asbestos particles they do not just "jump" off the floor and float around. As long as you do not grind or sand asbestos products they are not a hazard.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks