Cheap Lawn Watering.

Users who are viewing this thread

KenH83

Reaction score
Is there something besides City hookup that I can use to water my new lawn?

I live about 500-700 yards from a major river in Grand Rapids, MI.

Please help :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You must check the legality. Many places will not allow you to draw water from a river. If you find that it is legal, you should think through all of the related costs, including upkeep of the pipeline, pump, dealing with the rise and fall of the river, and replacing the intake when a flood takes the old one out. Also, do you own the property between the river and your home? If not, you have a right-of-way problem. You should keep in mind that this water will have weed seeds in it that will reseed your lawn regularly. You may find the free or cheap water isn't so free or cheap after all.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Irrigating my lawn from a river for over 12 years. Common practice in DE, but we are not in any town limits.

KenH83

Reaction score
there isn't a way i'm going to be able to draw from the river.. there is too much stuff in the way..

i was hoping for some sort of DIY well tap or something..

i thought i remember someone saying there is a something i can buy at home depot and get water from the ground..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
well

Just being near a bed of water does not make a well possible. I did plumbing in a house many years ago, that was right across the street from a lake. They drilled 250' and never hit a drop of water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Withdrawing ground water also has regulations to be followed. You need to check with local authorities on local laws and restrictions.

KenH83

Reaction score
I know i'm young, but why can't things just be simple like they were 100 years ago without all these codes and permits, etc, etc. blah

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll be back I'm sure :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks