Fill Valve Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Merckle

Reaction score
Our two-year old Toto Drake recently developed a problem with cleanly cutting off the water at the end of the fill cycle. Disassembling and cleaning the sediment from the original G-Max fill valve failed to fix the problem, and so from Lowes I purchased and then installed a new $2+ Korky diaphragm cap, which fixed the problem.

I have several questions as follows, which I'd greatly appreciate answers from anyone:

1. I had so much trouble screwing the new Korky replacement cap in place that I had to remove the entire valve assembly from the tank, because the new cap fit so tightly. Even then, I broke a small piece (non-essential) off the fill valve. The original cap was fairly easy to unscrew from the fill valve. Do all Korky diaphragm caps fit so extremely tight in G-Max valves or could I possibly have had a bad cap?

2. What is the difference in performance between a G-Max fill valve and a standard Korky Quietfill valve? Is it worth the extra cost (about $11) to purchase a G-Max fill valve when I need to replace it?

3. What causes could explain having quite a bit of sediment (look like small pieces of rock), which fouls up everything, in one's water supply?

Thanks very much for any replies and many thanks to Terry for this website.
https://terrylove.com/korky/

korky_cap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The G-Max has a fairly large volume of water go into the fill valve compared to the regular Korky valve. There is a difference.

The rocks... What color are they? Are they all the same size?

Last edited:

SamC

Reaction score
I think the one made for the G-Max runs water down the overflow for refilling the bowl at a different rate than does the regular Quiet Fill. But the replacement caps are the same. And probably the one for the Eco-Drake is different from either of the other two.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks