Bizarre - Toilet Won't Fill

Users who are viewing this thread

HarryHomeowner

Reaction score
I've replaced all the toilet guts, supply flex hose, shut off valve connecting to the copper, even purged/flushed the copper pipe supplying the toilet etc.

Despite all my efforts when I re-assemble the toilet everything works fine for about 4-6 flushes and then the toilet will refuse to fill. It behaves as if the supply is simply blocked.

Is there such a thing as an Air Lock in toilet plumbing?? Is there a backflow preventer in a fluid master that can slam closed so hard it can't be overcome unless you drain house pressure??

The toilet is supplied of a dedicated run to the powder room. There is a T joint that has the Vertical T going to the toilet and the horizontal continues along to the sink supply. Is it possible that the sink is venturi vacuuming a backflow valve closed??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
HarryHomeowner

HarryHomeowner

Reaction score
Nope - not that

I've replaced the fill valve. Water will come into the tank a hand full of times but as soon as the sink runs it will no longer fill.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

You have a problem unique to your house and it needs a plumber to check it out, if your description is correct, because as Spock says, "It does not compute".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
attachment.php

Do you have one of the "floodsafe" supply hoses going to the toilet? If so, replace it with a standard item.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryHomeowner

Reaction score
Good Question, I'll Look

It never occurred to me that there could be a food safe hose. I'll check and get back with you.

HarryHomeowner

Reaction score
I Did have the Flood Safe supply line

Thanks a million. That saved me a service call for sure. I'll check back tomorrow and see if the midnight gremlins were at work but I'm sure that was it.

THANKS!!!!:):):):)

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You will save some future homeowner a service call, too, now that you've taken the time to give us feedback - thanks!

Too bad about this little "design issue" with the Flood Safe line - seemed like such a good idea at the time...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At first thought it seemed like a good idea...
Then when thinking about it for a little more than a split second, reality sets in...
At that point you realize that all the Floodsafe valve is protecting against is...
A No-Burst hose bursting!:eek:

Kind of redundant isn't it?

Then I get sent to a call where a floodsafe hose failed and flooded a house!
Go figure!
The Valve failed due to cheesy construction at the point indicated by the arrow!

brokenconnector.jpg

What garbage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks