Tub drain moving

Users who are viewing this thread

randyc

Reaction score
I'm redoing our entire master bath. I'm trying to do as much work myself as I can, and get help where I need it.

I'm downsizing the tub. The attached picture shows the current drain config. Concrete slab. In an ideal world, the drain would be located about 2" farther from the end wall, and about 2" closer to the side wall.

So, I guess my questions are:

Can that be done?
If so, how? and can I do it?

Since the joints I want to adjust seem well glued together, I'm worried I'll break something that won't easily be fixable.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• plumbing1.jpg
    plumbing1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 476

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Can it be done? Absolutely! How can it be done? We would have to be there to do it. But essentially, you may have to relocate the trap which is below the piping you show. There could be other ways, but it depends entirely upon what you are doing for the new tub.

randyc

Reaction score
"it depends entirely upon what you are doing for the new tub"

The old tub was a mammoth cultured marble thing that my wife hated - too big, sucked out heat, etc. So we're expanding the shower stall and going with a smaller tub. The new tub will be a Kohler 60" drop-in. I'm going to build a tub deck around it, but there will be minimal decking as space is at a premium. Valves will be deck mounted at the front end of the tub.

Where the drain is (in picture) is doable, but, like I said, I'd ideally like it "out and over" just a bit for space considerations.

One other question. If I can't do it, but it can be done, will it be expensive?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cost

The real question is whether the new tub will over the location where the trap is or if the trap will be outside the tub's footprint. If it is under the tub, the trap should be moved. If it is outside then, with the proper drain assembly, it can be worked so that the existing trap location will function. The final cost will depend on the plumber's ability and how difficult, or easy, he makes it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Because everything below floor level is glued, it just has to be cut out and redone. You need to dig out around and under the trap that is seen just below the dirt. You can probably cut at the outlet of the trap and build up new from there.

Do not cut anything until you have dug, and the person who has to reassemble it takes a look and has an assorment of fittings on hand. If you are the person, do some digging, then post another pic for us. Get an assortment of couplings, 1/8 and 1/16 bends, a trap, a couple of small pieces of pipe just case, etc. And of course PVC primer and glue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks