Anyone here work in PA? Employment question

Users who are viewing this thread

TMB9862

Reaction score
I live in NY right now and am considering a move to PA. I've been working for a plumbing company a few years now in NY and have a decent job.
1. I've heard you don't need a license to be a plumbing in PA, is that true?
2. If it is do you have every schmuck with a wrench running around doing shoddy work charging ten bucks an hour completely killing the industry?
3. My main question is if I move to PA how is the job industry for plumbers there, is it a viable career?
4. If you do need a license would my years in NY count towards it or would I be starting my apprenticeship over again?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't know PA. In CA, a person does not have to have any license of for that matter any training. You cannot run your own business. But a licensed plumbing contractor can hire anyone he wants. As a result, there are a lot of hacks working for the 1-800....plumbing companies.

Service business is steady if you have a good rep. New construction housing, and to some extent the remodel business.....is in the dumper.

In some areas there is good business to be had fixing foreclosure houses where the owners took...literally....the kitchen sink, bathtub, and some of the piping with them!

Getting started, you are competing with the illegal aliens, who will tackle any job someone is willing to offer them. Vent?.....you don need no steenking vent!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
No, you have schumucks doing lousy work charging anywhere from 80 to 125 and hour.

TMB9862

Reaction score
No, you have schumucks doing lousy work charging anywhere from 80 to 125 and hour.

So you're from PA or know about it's laws then? I'm not looking to start my own business just yet, I'd be going to work for someone else. Right now I'm making pretty good money. I know it wouldn't be the same there as it is right outside NYC but can you still make $20/hr or so working for someone in PA?

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
PA plumber

I have been a plumber in PA for 23 years. At this time there is no state license but many of the cities have their own license. I live in the Harrisburg area and have a Master's license from Harrisburg so I can pull permits when I work there. Many of the townships have Master's licenses but no regular plumbing licenses. Usually you only need to get those if you want to pull a permit, I buy them as needed for jobs (I'm self-employed). Most of those licenses accept the Harrisburg one and you just need to buy theirs (AKA money grab). No test required. Not sure what area of PA you're coming into, but if you plan on working in Harrisburg, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh you'll want to get their journeyman license. It will offer you more work possibilities. There has been a lot of talk of a state plumbing license but it hasn't happened yet. The job market in this area of PA seems very good for plumbers and pipefitters. I see hiring notices at many supply houses. If I can be of any help to you please feel free to contact me at integrity_plumbing@comcast.net. I'd be glad to help you any way I can (but I'm not hiring at this time).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks