New shower install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Hey guys great forum here. I am installing a 32x60 tiled shower and just bought a Delta shower valve set that came with a tub diverter. Lately i've been seeing more showers that have the diverter installed in a shower situation on various DIY shows on tv. Anyone have an opinion on this practice or pros and cons?

Second question is this: With the wet wall open right now I have an opportunity to install shutoffs on the hot and cold supplies which would be accessible on the other side of the wall inside a small access panel. Is this worth doing or is it overkill in the shower?

Thanks for a great forum, it's very interesting reading.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A toe tester is a nice idea!

Pro:
No surprise on the temperature
Easier cleaning of the shower stall

Con:
More work on the installation
A possible leak if the shower head is directed at it
You may bang your legs on it in a small shower

1/4 turn ball valves in the access panel is a great idea!

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I would agree with you on all counts. I like the 1/4 turn stops but unfortunately the one I tried sweating a few weeks ago leaked immediately. I had the valve open but must have overheated it. I'm not a fan of compression fittings, but it seems many on here are. Maybe I'll have to try them again and see if my luck changes!

Thanks again for your opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

I try to install toe testers whenever I can convince the customer as to their benefits. I NEVER advise integral stops, especially for a Delta or Moen valve because there is no reason to remove the trim ring to service them so the plumber would not even know they are there, and even if he did he would seldom want to go to the trouble of accessing them. I know I wouldn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks