Stagnant water smell after flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

M&S

Scientist
Reaction score
The powder room of my new house has a St. Thomas Creation low flow toilet with Quattro Flushing technology. This was installed in summer of 2006. Recently I have begun to notice a stagnant water smell emanating from this bathroom. There are other low-flow models installed in the house; e.g. Toto and these bathrooms do not seem to have the same problem. The smell is particularly powerful if the door to this bathroom is closed for a period of time. The smell seems worse after flushing. Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vanity sink and/or toilet may not be properly vented, and when you flush the toilet, it sucks water out of the trap at the vanity, opening up a direct open-air path to the sewer.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The weakest joint in the plumbing system is the wax ring... I would reset the toilet for starters and see if that does the trick... If the toilet is at all loose the chance of the wax ring leaking jumps to 100%

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks