well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Catherine

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a new well pump (with a two wire capacitor) and new pressure tank put in. The symptoms were no water at all overnight and then brown water after that, and the the old capacitor burned out. The well guy said he couldn't tell me what actually caused my loss of water because the well was full - whether or not I emptied the well, (30 gallons/min, 173 feet deep old pump 8 gall), 20 year old pump, bad capacitor due to old pump, or pressure tank diaphram fail (it showed low pressure). So all was changed. After the pump and pressure tank were put in,he put in chlorine tablets, and after 4 hours as per instruction I turned on the outside faucet to drain the system. Brown eventually ran clear, then I came inside and turned on faucets - brown and with silt. So i kept running them. Ditto in the toilet. This morning when I turn on water in the faucet, I get debris (sand?). My new current pump is a 7 gall, my previous was an 8 gall. Well guy said an 8 gall not available. So, did I leave the chlorine in long enough? With water in the well, why am I getting dirt out the faucets? Am I ruining the new pressure tank getting sand/dirt in it? Will my dishwasher, toilet, and other appliances get ruined with the debris? How do I stop the debris or is this what happens after replacement of pump for a period of time (how long). Do pressure washers (small 15 psi) ruin pressure tanks or pumps? I am thinking I should use that to run alot of water through to clear the water.I am trying to learn how my house runs. Thanks, Catherine

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You don't want sand in washing machines, toilets, valves, pressure washers etc. etc..

You should run water from an outside faucet and a garden hose until it's clear but not let the well run dry. Then flush out the house fixtures (cold water) starting at a tub, sinks etc. until clear and then toilets washing machines etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks