Bathroom Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I'm tiling my bathroom and have a small area that separates the toilet area from the rest of the bathroom. There's a small wall near the shower that often gets a little wet due to the closeness to the shower. You can see the damage near the bottom. I attached pictures..

What could I do with this? Tile? Greenboard? Can I tile over drywall?

Attachments

• IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 362

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you can do.

1) They sell these glue on dividers that you can mount on the ledge of the tub. Think the hypotenuse of a triangle. This blocks water from exiting the shower enclosure. They are cheap maybe $15. Go on with glue and caulked for appearance.

2) You can tile but you'll have to replace the drywall with cement backer board. The drywall won't hold up and grout is porous.

3) You can glue up some synthetic paneling. You'll have to ensure a good fit and caulk with 100% silicon. It won't look good but it will work.

Tom

CharlieM

Reaction score
First you would have to replace any damaged drywall.

After that, you could use a product called Kerid-band (thin waterproof membrane) that is thinsetted to the drywall, then tile over that.

Charlie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is very common to bring the tiled area out beyond the tub one row to help with this kind of a problem. It can be worse if the tub is no longer (or never was!) level.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's common to have backer board over the tub, and drywall after that.
for the little bit between the tub and the corner, tile would be fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It wouldn't be unusual to tile that small bit outside of the tub, then spray wouldn't be an issue - i.e., an extra row of tile.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Should I go half way up the wall? I'm also a little concerned about where the wall meets the shower enclosure and how tile would look.

CharlieM

Reaction score
If I were going to tile something like this, I would find a bullnose tile that looked nice with the tub/bathroom and cut/install it as a border around the whole thing. Leave an 1/8" gap between the tile and the tub/surround, then caulk that with silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks