I think I need a new pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

GuitarFish

Reaction score
I have a Goulds Hydro-Pro V60 tank in my house, which is 5 years old. The well pump has been kicking on and off very frequently, every time the water is run.

About a month ago I shut off the pump and drained all the water from the system. I measured the pressure on the water tank with a tire gauge, and it read ZERO. My understanding is that the tank should have a few pounds less pressure than the cut-in pressure, which is 30lbs.

I pumped the water tank with air until it was 27lbs, then closed the system and turned the pump on. Things were OK for a little while, but over the last couple weeks things are back to the way they were before, with the pump running often.

Today I drained the system again and checked the pressure in the tank. Again it reads zero. Instead of pumping more air into it, I turned the water back on. With the water on and the tank under pressure, I checked the air pressure valve and this time water came out of it.

My understanding is that water should NEVER come out of that valve, and if it does, the bladder is compromised and the pressure tank is shot. Is this correct?

If the tank does need to be replaced, I have an additional question. There's a brass tee in the service line, and a 10" length of 1" copper that runs to the pressure tank. To remove the tank, should I sweat the tee until I can pull the 1" copper out of it? Or should I just cut the 1" line and put a sleeve/collar on a new piece of 1" to the new tank?

THANK YOU !!

CaptWally

Reaction score
You are correct and answered all of your own questions. The tank bladder is shot. The tank needs to be replaced. As far as the copper, do what is easiestwhile still maintaining solid connections. If you have to sawzall the thing off, do it and replace the fittings as necessary.

General Rule of Thumb: The tank should have an air pressure 2lbs below the cut -in setting, so if you have a 30-50 psi pressure switch, fill the tank to 28lbs. This, of course, is static pressure, meaning the system is shut off and all water relieved of the system.

GuitarFish

Reaction score
I replaced the Hydro Pro tank with a new Well-X-Trol WX202 tonight. It works beautifully. Thanks for the help. I put a union in the line so in the event ever needs to come out, it will be easier.

CaptWally

Reaction score
You are one step ahead! The WX202 is the best tank I have used. I've installed many

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks