question on size of toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

harveymasons

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a toilet size issue I hope someone can help me with. I had a friend install a new toilet to replace a cracked old one and it turns out the new one he had to install on an angle because the inward door swing would hit the bowl. He installed it anyway b/c he didn't want to leave me w/ out a toilet. I believe this toilet is a 12 inch rough in made by Glacier bay. I was wondering what size I would need, would it be a higher number like 13 or 14 rough in or a lower number like 10 or 9 to avoid hitting the inward swing of the bathroom door? Or am I completely off here and this number has nothing to do with the door hitting the toilet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

harvey

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To determine the rough-in, measure from the center of the drain, to the wall. Measuring the bolts should do it.

Some toilets are longer than others, normally a regular bowl can be as short as 26.5" long, that depends on the brand and model though.
Some brands are built fairly long.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First of all, the Glacier Bay toilet is a very poor builder model sold by Costco. You will likely be plagued with problems. Secondly, the term rough-in refers to the distance from the finished wall to the center of the drain. It is most easily measure by checking the distance from the wall to the bolts that hold the toilet to the flange. The vast majority of toilets have a 12" rough-in, but a few are 14" and a few are 10". I suspect you have a very cramped space in front of the toilet and replaced a round bowl with an elongated one. If that's true, then you should get a round front bowl. I don't know you friend managed to put the toilet in at an angle and anchor it down, probably it isn't anchored. While you are at it, I'd urge you to get a Toto Drake so that you will be trouble free. Big Box Store toilets are for the most part build models that are nothing but trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks