(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Grohe shower volume valves & levers

Default Grohe shower volume valves & levers

(I posted about this on one other board too -- sorry if you see this twice!)

I think we have a problem with the Grohe shower controls we're having installed in our master bathroom. We have Grohe volume control valves with Kensignton volume control trim, using levers. It seems (I'm being told by the installer -- I haven't played with it yet myself) that the weight of the lever is actually enough to cause the position to slowly change on its own. I know the levers are heavy, but that just doesn't seem right to me. Is ours installed wrong (it doesn't seem that complicated), or faulty, or what? This isn't cheap stuff, so I didn't expect to run into this kind of problem....

Thanks.

Default valves

They should be ceramic quarter turn valve so they NEVER change positions. If they were rubber washer compression stems then the handle positions would constantly change as the washer wore down.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When the valve is well greased, it has a very smooth velvety action. The handles would have to be quite heavy to allow them to move under gravity. I would hope that Grohe did not produce a handle heavy enough to cause that to happen. Now, make sure that the trim you have is specified for the rough-in valve you've selected. The fact that it fits, may not be a good predictor of success - only use the approved trims with the suggested rough-ins, regardless of fit. All of the Grohe fixtures I have, stay where they are put, but I do not have one like you indicated.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

I've had this problem with Jado volume control (quarter turn) and Grohe Eurodisc Pressure balanced shower valve.
    Inside the sleeve there is a washer and gasket, if it is slipping call Grohe and tell them to send you out more gaskets and install them in the sleeve that will increase the friction.
    This is what we did on our Jado problem.