Low pH

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
My well water tests at a pH of 5.6 and total dissolved solids of 40. I have a downflow/backwashing 2.5 cu ft neutralizer tank filled only with calcite. When drawing a steady flow (like a shower) at 2.5 gpm or higher, the pH of the treated water levels out at around 6.5 or 6.6. I'm using an aquarium pH test kit, so I don't know how accurate the readings are. With copper plumbing, however, I'd like to get the pH closer to 7.

I've heard that using a mixture of calcite and Corosex in the neutralizer tank would raise the pH. But I've also heard that Corosex can overcorrect pH, which can create new problems. Also, if Corosex dissolves faster than calcite, it seems like it would be challenging to keep the neutralizer filled with the proper mixture.

I've been thinking that another option might be to inject soda ash before the calcite-only neutralizer. The neutralizer would then serve primarily as a sediment filter. I don't if there are side-effects to this option.

I know there are trade-offs with any solution. Can anyone share thoughts on which of these you'd recommend? Thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You need a correctly sized mixed bed AN filter, with the correct mix.

You need a big pump, and a good control valve to successfully backwash a 2.5 cuft AN filter....

Whoever sold you that filter didn't do you nay favors.

I would not suggest a solution feeder and properly sized retention tank.

PK

Reaction score
You need a correctly sized mixed bed AN filter, with the correct mix.

You need a big pump, and a good control valve to successfully backwash a 2.5 cuft AN filter....

Whoever sold you that filter didn't do you nay favors.

I would not suggest a solution feeder and properly sized retention tank.

Thanks for the help. The tank came with the house, so I'm trying to figure out what remedy would be best. The well pump produces 12 gpm (measured with a bucket at a faucet), and the control valve is a Fleck 2510 that backwashes at 10 gpm (measured with a bucket at the control valve drain).

With that pump and control valve, would something like an 80/20 calcite/corosex mix likely be successful? Or is the entire setup just wrong?

I'm also interested in why you wouldn't suggest the feeder arrangement. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks