Fitting flange in a tilted toilet drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

raider395

Reaction score
I need to replace the flange, but the 4 inch cast iron drain coming through the floor is at a slight angle. This is causing the "twist-n-set" replacement flange to be raised one whole inch on one side. Is there another type of flange that may work better?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Is there enough wiggle room to shim the other side of the flange to make it level?

1" is a pretty big slant to have, if it were less you could just set the wax ring and the toilet would compress the wax to the needed angle, but if your riser is that crooked...maybe you might have to redo it.

raider395

Reaction score
Actually, there is no wiggle room. I thought perhaps if I get a flange with a hole smaller than the 3-7/8" opening in the cast iron, I could then get it to sit flat, but don't know how to create a seal between the cast iron and the new flange. Your help is much appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is way too much to jack knife a fit. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and hire a plumber to deal with a new flange on the cast iron. I think it is likely there will be more to deal with that just the flange.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere should be enough room to lead in a new flange, but that is not something the average DIY'er has the tools or knowledge to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks