Water heater capacity upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

export

Reaction score
I am just wondering what the experts here think about going from a 40 gallon to a 50 gallon. Is it worth the extra $45 for 10 gallons and will I notice a difference? And I suppose my showers could be on the long side since my wife complains she doesn't have hot water after I am done.

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
kansas master Plumber

Is it worth the extra $45 for 10 gallons?
You are the one using it so it's your call. To keep the wife happy I think it would be a well spent $45.00. :):)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can normally get about 70% of the water in the tank before it starts to cool off noticeably, so that's about 7 more gallons, or about 3-minutes.

Another important consideration is the recovery rate 0 often listed as first hour available volume. Some WH can recover and provide a lot more hot water than others, regardless of their size based on how much heat they can generate.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water Heater Changeout

Yes Go With The 50 Gal. It's Worth The Extra Money ! ! :d

Sorry To Burst Your Bubble But G/e Water Heaters Are Made By Rheem :d

export

Reaction score
Yeah I know they are Rheem. I was just upset with my 20 year old Rheem because I only got 6 years out of it since that is when I moved in. :p If the new one lasts 20 years I will be very happy. Hell if it lasts 10 without problems I will be extremly happy.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You must take really long and really hot showers. I have a 40 gallon Rheem and there is never a shortage of hot water even doing laundry and showering at the same time. Now, there are just two of us in the house, no kids, so that might be a consideration. I wonder if the old heater maybe just wasn't as efficient as the newer ones? At any rate, go with the larger size and don't look back. Having more capacity than you really need is sure better than not having enough, and the relatively small price difference will soon be forgotten.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks