(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: repack double handle mongrel shower valves

Default repack double handle mongrel shower valves

We have a leak from the spout of our tub. The double handle shower valves do not have any brand name on them that we can see. The house was built in 1962, and the valves are probably original.

We would like to repack the valves, but we are wondering if we can match the stems. We have not had any experience in doing such a project. Is this a homeowner's job, or should we contact a plumber? We have done minor repairs in the past with replacing faucet seats, springs, and stems.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default stems

You are mixing tasks. If the stems have packings, then you can just tighten them. If you replace the stems then they have new packings. However, if they have packing nuts, then they may also have to be tightened slightly to prevent stem leaks. But the packings have nothing to do with a spout leak. That is caused by the faucet washers and/or seats being worn.

I do not recognize the handles, but someone might. Stay tuned.

If you can turn off the water and remove a stem, and post a photo, that will be more recognizable.

Default repair leaky shower faucet

I'm leery of pulling out the stem. Sorry, but I just assumed that it would have to be removed. I plead ignorance.

Can someone please explain how to repair the faucet washers and/or seats?
    Last edited by mumsta; 05-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.

two things, take off the handles and post a picture and where do you live that often makes a big diffrence

Default faucet

You can create a major problem if you do not remove and replace the faucet parts properly. If you do not know how to do it, and it is normally fairly intuitive, then you might want to call a plumber.

You're right. I think we'll call in a plumber.

Thanks for all the input.