I need a LARGE easy-out

Users who are viewing this thread

CaptWally

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a tool supplier that handles large easy-outs aka screw extractors? The largest one I have is a #9 which will remove say, a broken 1" male adaptor. I need something that can spin out 2" and up fittings.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
easy out suggestions

If you actually have to take out something that big.

most likely even if the made an easy out to do 2 inch and larger,

I dont think even with a cheater bar on your wrench you would have the

strength to actually budge anything that large..
------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture something like in the three stooges would probably happen to you

you and two other stooges crank on something together with all your

strength and you actually rip out virtually the

whole plumbing system instead of just that stubborn nipple....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
might I suggest a Sawzall with some high speed steel cutting blades????

cut that pipe off and then cut it inside the fitting , take a hammer and cold chilse and chisel out the remaining cut nipple.

that is the safest way to do that deed.

CaptWally

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify. One instance where this would be very handy is the removal of a tenant's Tub drain. It's been there 30 years. Strainer is gone. Tried using a tub drain wrench and that was very effective in removing the cross at the bottom of the drain, so now it is wide open. I don't want to damage the tub by beating the heck out of it. I've already tried the good old hacksaw blade and chisel/hammer but the thing isn't budging. Poor tenants are being very patient while I relpace all the drain fittings. But I can't until I get that silly drain broken free....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is an internal-grip wrench made for tub drains. Should be available on the internet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are too late

if you are trying to get out a tub drain , they do make something like an easy

out and I think my grandfather lost the last one I ever saw 35 years ago.

so I havent seen or used one in tens of years.....

that cross tee wrench is the most common thing that most people use...

if all you did is break off those strainer lips in the bottom of the drain,

then you are simply going to have to get grizzley with it.....

you cant wait forever to find a majic answer..or tool, or your tennants are

gonna start to think you are either a wimp or a cheap ass for not just calling

a plumber. You could risk them moveing out on you too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

just go get a nice sharp small cold chisel and hammer and start to cut into that top lip

banging it in the direction to remove it....

as it cuts, it is either going to start to loosen up move....or you will simply

have to cut the whole thing out down into the actual drain...

.....also as you ar banging on it I suggest you

spray some WD 40 onto the lip of that stubborn flange to help loosen

it up.

The WD 40 will actually help loosen it up ,

and I always find that the smell of WD 40

makes the whole experience more "manley " too.

Just do this or call a plumber and he will bring out his own WD 40 and stink up the place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ez out

If you tried the hacksaw blade and chisel and it did not work, then you did not do it correctly because that works EVERY time when done right. In fact it is impossible for it not to work when done correctly.

CaptWally

Reaction score
I found it, guys!

Ridgid No. 342 Internal Wrench is the ticket. It has 5 different sized gripping surfaces that expand eccentrically to conform to the inside of many fittings, plastic or metal. It's not cheap; $60. I was lucky and the property owner sprung for it, though I probably would have gotten it even if he hadn't. It's one of those things that you may use just every so often but BOY will you be GLAD when you do have it!

I still used some WD40 and heated the thing up with a torch to put the "manly" smell in the tenants' apartment.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ridgid

Congrats Wally,

Yep thats the tool I was mentioning in my previous post, sorry I didn't remember the model number. There are smaller tub drains that the wrench just won't fit though. Sometimes on those smaller drains I can use a hammer and drive that wrench down into it but the next size smaller on the wrench is too small but that size is sometimes too big to fit some of them also. Anyway, wanted to tell you that tool comes in handy for working on flushvalve toilets and urinals, its a great spud wrench. You will most likely find many other uses for it too.

Take care of it and that tool will last your and your childrens lifetime. I've been using my dad's for the last 14yrs and there is no telling how long he had it before then. I know it had already lost its original finish when I got it, nice bare metal patina.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Darn! I guess I can't convince the Wife to put it on display in the living room. Thanks, though, it was a lifesaver and I'm sure it will be in the future. Ridgid should be paying us for this!

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wally,
I've had one of those tools for years.Yes it is GREAT ! However,be very careful,,,There are times that you can be bearing down with it in a tub, it will "release",, your pipe wrench will slam into the tub wall,pop off the finish,,your cursing,housewife crying , homeowner swinging. Well you get it,just be REAL careful that it has a good bite.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Thanks, Cal

Yep I banged a knuckle getting the feel of it. Even chipped the porcelain in the tub but it wasn't visible when I installed the new drain. Yes, it can slip if not used with attention, but it is a great tool....

ALSO, all you pros out there, listen up! While I was out there trying to get this tub drain out, buying the Ridgid internal wrench, I found the very easy-out I was looking for in the first place. I found a #11 Morse Easy-Out on ****, bid on it and won it. It arrived yesterday and it is one Hefty chunk of steel. It is the most impressive easy-out I've ever seen and I bet I will use it very rarely but when I do I will be glad I have it. 1-1/2" on the small end and 1-15/16" on the large end. I hope I have my steel toe boots on if I ever drop it. Hey, with shipping it only cost $18. In between uses I can impress the guys with "who has the biggest...." My wife can't quite comprehend my excitement over receiving a hunk of steel in our mailbox.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks