Water heater leaking out top

Users who are viewing this thread

export

Reaction score
Well my family and I just got back from a long weekend away from home and came back to water in the laundry room from the water heater. Water was coming out of the top of it not from the T&P.

Just wondering if this is a DIY fix or do I need a new water heater. It is a gas Rheem 22v40s-1.

Thanks for any info,
Ex

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure its not one of the connections leaking...
If its the tank itself then the only option is replacement.
Depending on the condition of the tank sometimes a leaking connection can be fixed.

Don't hold your breath usually its time for a new water heater!

export

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I agree with you, it is time for a new one. After looking into it a bit more it looks like the leak is somewhere under the top of the tank. I emptied it and when I fill it up, that is where the air pressure is is leaking out. Not sure where, but the air seems to come out from around the exhausted vent. I suppose I should be thankfull it leaked from the top and put out the flame at the bottom. It would have really sucked to come back to a full home sauna.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would recommend shutting off the burner and closing the valve on the water inlet pipe... Its not going to get better and in fact may get a lot worse.

export

Reaction score
I would recommend shutting off the burner and closing the valve on the water inlet pipe... Its not going to get better and in fact may get a lot worse.

I did that as soon as I saw the standing water. Not even going to attempt to start the burner. Pretty wet and rusted down there so now it is time to upgrade to a larger capacity.

Time to search for recommendations. Thanks for the help.

Ex

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many reports in the past on this forum give the Whirlpool a very low rating. Most seem to favor the GE/Rheem found at HD. You might spend a little time and peruse the archives here before pulling the trigger on a new heater.

export

Reaction score
Doing that now. It is just that I am mad at Rheem since that is what just failed. It is around 20 years old, so I guess it was do to die. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

export

Reaction score
Well it looks like I am going with a 50 gallon GE from HD. And one of my wifes friends does this for a living and will only charge $100 plus parts to install it. Sounds like a good deal to me and I only have to go one more day without a shower.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You got 20 years service out of a Rheem heater and you mad that it failed? My gosh, what do you expect! That is outstanding for any heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks