Bathroom vanity water trap

Users who are viewing this thread

BillM

Reaction score
Good morning all........I removed old bathroom vanity, and purchased a new, freestanding vanity.......Problem is: rough plumbing (1 1/2" water pipe) that comes out of the wall is too low to allow for a 'trap'? I cut out the back of the vanity to allow the pipe to fit into the vanity, but it (the pipe) only has 2 inches of clearance below it, to the bottom of the vanity.......Not enough room to allow for a typical 'trap'.......Any ideas on how to get around this, without raising the rough plumbing? Any trap adapters, or something? I'm a complete novice.......

Thanks for any info...

-Bill

BillM

Reaction score
I thought of that, as a last ditch option? I'd like to avoid that, since (1) would take away storage space within vanity cabinet, and (2) would cause exposed plumbing under the 'decorative' vanity......It would probably work, but would ruin the look?

What is the purpose of the trap, anyway? i.e. Couldn't I just run piping from the sink drain, and elbow it off directly into the rough plumbing at something like a 75 degree angle? or, would that impede the water flow into the rough plumbing drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Without getting into a class discussion of traps, siphonage, sewer gases, etc., suffice it to say you DO NEED a trap, and the solutions you are proposing either eliminate or negate the trap and its purposes. Either cut on opening in the bottom for the trap to hang into or raise the pipe. Those are the only two viable options to maintain the trap's integrity.

BillM

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ
ok.....it sounds like the quickest/easiest is to cut hole in bottom of vanity and, and move on from there......but......if I were to raise the height of the rough plumbing drain, how do I do that? The rough plumbing pipe runs horizontally through the studs in the wall, and then is positioned in its present location with 2-90 degree pvc fittings....(condo was built x 30 years ago?).......sounds like a plumbing project best left to a pro.......unless this is easier than I think, which I don't suspect to be the case......

I think I'll go with option 1.......cut a hole in bottom of vanity, and run with it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks